XXIX

As soon as Javi got discharged, they got back to work.

Nahuli na ang pasimuno sa nagtangka sa buhay niya. 

It was one of the disgruntled officials na natanggal dahil sa kaso ng corruption. When the investigation was made, we found out na involved pa ang isang higher-ranking official backed by a rich family na nakabangga din ni Javi. The internet broke. #ProtectJavi trended.

Javi found out what I did and what had stemmed from it. 

Actually, dahil sa mga articles and sa interview I gave, unexpected offers and support from different volunteer groups rushed in. I had been invited to several speaking engagements, and even received an offer to write a book. Shookt ako, mga mamst.

Javi and I were no longer hiding what we have. Hindi lang siya confirmed sa public, until he decided to break the internet again. 

He replied to a tweet of someone who playfully asked kung ano ang pet name niya sa girlfriend niya and dared him to tag his girlfriend kung meron man.

JavierGenrio: Love. @valannesario

Nagtrend na naman siya dahil diyan sa kalandian niyang yan. Akala ba niya kikiligin ako? Aba syempre naman.

We were in his rest house for the weekend. Gusto pa nga niya magtrabaho pero dahil hindi pa siya fully recovered, I insisted na magpahinga muna siya. Kung hindi ay hihiwalayan ko siya. Chareng lang.

We were sitting outside, under his covered porch. I was typing on my laptop, while he was reading his book when he suddenly spoke.

"How would you feel if you're married to the president of the country?" Tanong niya.

I distractedly answer while still typing away. "Marry the president? Ayoko nga." I say, thinking na ang tinutukoy niya ay ang current president. That would be a no.

He laughed. "How about if you're married to a senator?" He then asked.

I smile. I know where he's going with this. 

"Alam mo, just ask me if I want to marry you and.." I look over at him to tease him when I find him out of his chair and kneeling down on one knee, holding a velvet box.

He smirks. "O e di nagulat ka?" He says and then opens the box to reveal a beautiful ring.

Ang bilis ng tibok ng puso ko. 

"Valerie Anne Sario, the first time I met you, I knew you'd be a real pain in the ass." He says. Natawa ako. 

"And I was right. You were. But despite being the most stubborn, pinakamatigas ang ulo, at pinakapasaway na taong nakilala ko, your strength and wit and compassion drew me in closer until you had me captured and enchanted." He says. I'm crying now. At wala akong pake.

"I would like to have the honor of witnessing your weakest and strongest moments; standing by you in times of darkness and light; holding your hand as you pursue your dreams and your heart's desires. I would like to have the honor to have your love and be called your husband under His name."

"So, love, Val, will you marry me?" He asks.

I ws bawling my eyes out when I felt it. I quickly stood up and rushed back inside. Deretso sa banyo kung saan sinuka ko lahat ng meron ako.

"Val? You okay?" I hear Javi as he knocked on the door.

Binuksan ko ang pinto pagkatapos kong magmumog. I see him, concern written on his face.

"What happened?" He asked.

Hindi ko siya pinansin at dumiretso ako sa bag ko pagkatapos ay umupo sa couch.

"Hey." He crouched down in front of me, pinatong ang mga kamay sa magkabilang tuhod ko. "Talk to me."

I looked at him, keeping a straight face.

His eyes shine with worry. "Are you... are you saying no?" He silently asked.

I hand him the paper I'm holding. He looks at it and then looks back at me. He takes it and stands up. "What's this?"

"Just open it, Javi." I sigh.

He looks at me and opens the letter. His brows scrunch and I wait for him to realize what it was.

But he didn't.

He stayed rooted in his spot, holding the paper up, face blank of emotions.

After a few minutes, he looked at me.

I smiled. "#DaddyJavi."

It took him another few seconds before he burst out in a big smile and picked me up to twirl me around.

"Javi!" I say, laughing. "Ibaba mo ko, hoy, yung anak mo!"

Tumigil siya. "Shit, are you okay?" He was caressing my tummy.

I smile. "Joke lang."

He sighs in relief and hugs me again. "Here I thought you said no and nasuka ka talaga sa proposal ko."

I laugh and break out of his embrace. "Who said I'm saying yes?"

Nawala ang ngiti sa mukha niya. I laughed and kissed him. "Of course, it's not a yes. It's a yes na yes, ex-Mayor Javi, ngayon GovGen, and then next year Senator-slash-Daddy-Javier."

He smiles and kisses me again. "I love you." He breathes in between his kisses.

I smile. Who would have thought that Javi and I would go from having the same dream to being part of each other's dream?

"I love you."

Who would have thought that the dreamers could also be lovers?

>>>>>

@ajnotawriter (Twitter)