III

I sit in silence as the man in front of me reads over the papers he's holding.

Javier Elizalde Genrio.

I never had a chance to meet him. Dalawang beses ko pa lang yata siya nakita ng malapitan.

Once, when I had to deliver documents to Atty. Santos and he was there, and another was when he visited our team's working area to talk to our team leader. 

In both instances, I recall how he exudes a certain aura of authority. But not the authority you fear, it's more like an aura of power which makes you feel safe and cared for. He may look serious and stern but he has a charisma that makes people unafraid to approach him, especially when he gives that lopsided smile of his.

I look at him and study him silently. 

He's young-looking, taller than most, with broad shoulders kung saan niya pasan ang buong San Vicente. Char

He has dark hair, clean-cut and always keeps it neat. He sometimes maintains a sliver of facial hair, which is a contrast to the whole nice-guy image he sometimes has. 

Although he comes from a rich family, he goes to work wearing simple clothing: a polo-shirt, jeans, and sneakers, sometimes a jacket in tow. He only dresses up formally when there is a need, otherwise, he's in his usual casual get-up. 

He could pass for a celebrity with those looks, which is maybe the reason why madami din syang fans. But he's never known to have any relationships – past or present – according to his fan club.

He's always been focused in his dreams: making the world a better place, one town at a time. No time for love, all of his time spent on achieving his goals.

He looks up from the paper he's holding and I nervously fidget in my seat. He's asked me several questions since the interview started twenty minutes ago: about my knowledge and skills, and I've answered as honestly as I could. He only responded seriously, with a nod, or a plain 'Hmmm'. Feeling ko tuloy di ako pumasa sa standards niya. Sayang.

"Valerie?" He asks.

Shit, may tinanong yata sya na di ko narinig kasi kung anu-ano iniisip ko.

"Po?" I say meekly.

"I asked you why the sudden change in industry. You've been in the corporate setting since you graduated. Bakit ka nag-jump to the government sector?"

I look down, trying to calm my racing heart, as past memories try to resurface. I take a deep breath and answer, 

"This might sound like a cliche, pero back in college, I dreamt of changing the world. I didn't know how—I wasn't a doctor, not a scientist, not an engineer or researcher, but I wanted to make my own contribution in the world. I was stalled for a while, trying to find my place. It led me to the corporate world. 

But then one day, I woke up and a thought was in my head. This is it. Tama na. I have to make a stand. I wasn't the leader type, so I decided to apply what little knowledge and skills I have towards supporting the people who can make a difference, to serve the public servants. 

Even if it's as simple as making their lives easier by running errands, executing their events or projects. I guess that's how I can contribute—making it easy for the people in the spotlight while I'm working behind the scenes. 

I'd like to think that this is my first step in making the world a better place, one document at a time."

I realize I was rambling so I look up to see Mayor Javi looking at me, a trace of smile in his eyes. Or baka ako lang iyon kasi pagkurap ko seryoso na siya ulit.

"Sorry, Sir Javier, I was talking for a long time I did—"

"No, that's okay. You explained it well. And please, call me Javi. No need to be so formal. We're all on a first-name basis here." Javi says.

I shake my head, "I'd be more comfortable addressing everyone as Sir or Ma'am, if that's fine."

Javi raises his eyebrows, "It's not actually fine, especially if you address me as Ma'am, but don't worry." He jokes and a little smile appears on his face. "We'll break down that habit of yours." 

He starts organizing the papers on the table. "I'll talk to the team and Jess will let you know what's next." He stands up and holds his hand out. "It's nice to meet you, Valerie."

I stand up and take his hand, "It's nice to talk to you Sir Javier."

He cringes, "Shorten the name to Javi at least. You make me sound like an old man."

I smile a little and bow, "Sorry, Sir."

He nods and walks out of the room. Just before he leaves, he turns around and looks at me. "It was the same for me, too."

I tilt my head slightly, unsure what he meant.

"Dreaming of a better world. Let's make it come true." He smiles and turns around to walk out of the room leaving me alone.

I release the breath I didn't know I've been holding.

What was that?

>>>>>

@ajnotawriter (Twitter)