XXVII

Hindi ko alam kung paano ako nakapunta sa ospital.

All I know is one minute I was speaking to Jess over the phone, and the next I am standing in the front of the hospital emergency entrance, full of people. 

Police officers stood in front of it, preventing anyone from getting in. The place is swarmed with media and well-wishers, or mga chismoso.

"Val." I feel someone grab my arm and guide me towards a hallway. I look up and see Rom.

"J-Javi..." I whisper in between my cries. Umiiyak na pala ako.

"Calm down." He was still half-guiding, half-dragging me. 

"Let's get you out of the public eye first." We turn around another hallway, where I see several men in bodyguard uniform. 

Rom nods his head at them and they let us pass. We reach a waiting room and Rom let me in.

His family is there – his mom-Tita Liz, his dad-Anthony Genrio, some of his brothers and sisters and their families. And then on another corner, I see Jess and Atty. Christian speaking to some of Javi's officials and staff. 

When Jess saw us, iniwan niya saglit si Attorney at ang mga kausap. Rom sat me in the furthest seat. I look up to the three of them.

"He's still in surgery." Jess explained.

I exhale a little. He's still alive. He's fighting that's good.

Umupo si Jess sa tabi ko at niyakap ako. "Don't worry Val. Javi will get through this." I clutch at his arm and cry.

>>>>>

Based on what Rom told me, Javi was just leaving the office building at midnight when a group of men drove by and gunned down the car nung pasakay na siya. 

It was a good thing he was not yet in the car, kung hindi ay baka mas malala ang mangyayari, but a bullet pierced his lower left chest.

He's been in surgery for almost 12 hours now.

"Coffee?" Jess offered a cup to me. I took it and mumbled my thanks.

Umupo siya sa tabi ko and we both sipped our cups in silence. Or so I thought.

"Alam mo, Val, tangina ka din ano." Jess started.

Muntik ko na maibuga yung kape.

He laughed. "Sorry, I just had to let it out. Nangako ako sa sarili ko na kapag nakita kita ulit, iyon ang una kong sasabihin sayo."

I bow my head and stared at the cup I was holding. "I'm sorry, Jess."

He ruffled my head and I looked up at him glaring.

"I understood why you did what you did." He said. "It's not easy living with trauma." Panimula niya. "Trust me, I know." He smiled sadly. 

"But I knew you did what you think was best at that time. That was how Javi explained it to me, and I believed him."

I looked at him just as he looked to my direction and met my eyes.

"So it's time that you believe in him, too, Val."

>>>>>

The surgery went well. But Javi's still under observation. He has yet to wake up, so we won't know for sure if he's cleared from being in a critical condition.

He was transferred to a private room and his family stayed with him. Rom and I were still in the waiting room when the door opened. Senator Genrio.

"Javi's awake. He's asking for you, Ms. Sario."

I stood up and nod at Rom. I walked with Senator Genrio but just before I went in, he stopped me by speaking.

"The offer still stands, Ms. Sario." 

I froze.

"Worse things will happen. You and I know that." He says before opening the door.

I look up and see Javi, smiling and laughing at his family. His eyes find me and he smiles.

"Valerie."

>>>>>

I stand near the door as his family rushed past me on their way out. They gave me a curt nod and a warm smile. Pagkasara ng pinto, Javi spoke again.

"Come here, please."

I remain standing. Still in shock that Javi could have died. He could have died.

"I would love to march to you and kiss you, but unfortunately, I had just been shot." He jokes. "So please, pagbigyan mo naman ako and walk your cute little ass here." He pats the side of his bed and smiles.

That smile. I could have lost it forever. 

That was what broke the dam I had been holding. I rushed to him crying and threw my hands around his neck.

He laughed and rubbed my back. "I'm here." He whispers.

"I almost lost you." I cry.

"I could say the same to you, too." He teases.

I move out of his hug at hinampas siya ng mahina sa balikat. "Hindi ako nagbibiro."

Ngumiti siya at hinawakan ang mga kamay ko. "I'm happy you're here." He wipes away tears from my face. "Stop crying, tumutulo ang sipon mo." Dagdag niya.

I glare at him. "Then stop getting shot." Sabi ko.

He laughs a little. "Okay, I will."

I stare at him and ask, "Do you know who did this?"

He answers while playing with my fingers. "We have ideas."

"Isa sa mga binangga mong pamilya?" I ask.

He nods. "Might be. They have motive. But there's always loopholes. There's always a way to trace who they are."

I sigh, and I see him smile. "Don't worry. They won't be able to do it again. We'd be better prepared next time."

Worst things will happen. You and I know that. His uncle's words ring clear in my head.

"Val?" Javi tugs on my fingers.

"Yeah?" I say, holding his stare. He continues looking at my eyes for a long time and then tightens his grip on my hands.

"Trust me." Sabi niya. 

"Whatever you're thinking right now, please remember to trust me. Maniwala ka sakin." Seryosong sabi niya habang hindi inaalis ang titig sa akin.

"Trust me when I say I can protect my love, my dreams, and my life." He adds. "But it's your turn to choose."

I remain staring at him. My heart is pounding. When I saw him lying down unconscious, I already know the choice I made.

I cup his face and press a kiss on his lips.

I love you, Javi.

>>>>>

@ajnotawriter (Twitter)