XX

"What do you mean we're going to Laraya?" I ask Phil as soon as I entered his office.

He looked up at what he was doing para tingnan ako. "Did you read the whole email? KBC is taking over Laraya's existing project with the previous partners immediately. Dream-I Asia needs to be there, too."

Annoyed, I answered. "Of course, I read it. But I don't understand why we need to personally go there."

He raised his eyebrows, "Well, Dream-I Asia is KBC's partner." 

Alam ko, ugh. Pero ayokong pumunta doon. May iniiwasan nga ako diba, tapos tatapak pa ko sa teritoryo niya.

"And," Phil adds, "It's not 'we'. It's just 'you'."

What? Nakatanga lang ako sa kanya.

"I'm headed to Thailand this weekend." Phil said. 

"So, gear up, love. You're about to meet with the Office of the Governor of Laraya." He smiled.

>>>>>

We are seated inside the executive conference room of Laraya Provincial Government Office (LPGO). My team and KBC's reps just finished meeting with the project team of Laraya to understand the scope and details of the projects.

Luckily, I haven't seen him. And I don't think I will. Thank goodness.

"Have you met our Gov. Gen, Ms. Sario? Sayang, he's out today, ipapakilala ko pa naman sana sa team." Nico of Laraya PGO said, habang palabas kami ng room.

"That's okay. I think, I've seen him at the Livelihood Camp." I answered smiling, pagsisinungaling ko.

Just as we were walking back to the lobby, pinaglaruan na naman ako ng tadhana. Javi has just entered the building. He was speaking to three people. One of them is Jess. His eyes widened in surprise when he saw me.

When Javi has been elected Governor, Jess and Rom followed him, too. I heard Attorney took a job at the Regional Trial Court instead.

"Ah, eto pala siya." Nico remarked. "Gov. Gen!" He greeted.

Javi looked to our direction, but our eyes did not meet. Not once. Our team walked over to where they were. I had no choice but to follow them and Nico.

"We were just meeting with KBC and Dream-I Asia for the Kalayaan Fair. And the rest of the ongoing scheduled projects." Naabutan kong paliwanag ni Nico. Javi was looking at him.

"And we have here from Dream-I Asia, Ms. Valerie Anne Sario." Nico introduced.

That was the only time Javi looked at me. Unsmiling, he held out his hand for me to shake. "Ms. Sario." 

Parang may kung anong malamig ang bumalot sa sistema ko nang marinig ko ang boses niya.

I took it and shook it briefly, "Governor Genrio". I nodded and looked away as soon as Nico started introducing the rest. Wrong move. As soon as I took my eyes away from Javi, it landed on Jess.

He was glaring daggers at me. Not the same bubbly Jess I remember.

I didn't realize that the introductions are over until Javi spoke.

"I look forward to working with you all. Kalayaan Fair is something close to me personally, so you'd be hearing more from me." He smiles. And looks at everyone apart from me. "Let's all work together."

>>>>>

Mainit ang ulo kong bumaba ng sasakyan habang kausap si Phil sa telepono.

"It's absurd!" Galit kong bulalas sa kanya habang naglalakad papasok sa LPGO. 

"It's stupid and it's a complete waste of my time!"

It's been two weeks since I met Javi again and totoo nga ang sinabi niya. Literal talaga na we'd be hearing more from him.

I've assigned a team to work on the Kalayaan ng Laraya Fair, a month-long activity of Laraya to celebrate their 100th provincial anniversary. The theme is freedom in the form of healthcare, education, livelihood, housing, and innovation. 

Malaking activity, kaya malaki din ang pressure. KBC and Dream-I Asia are both on their toes.

I was trying to avoid Javi and Jess, so that's why I sent the best of my people.

But all I got were complaints.

Javi was being very nit-picky and difficult, especially on Dream-I Asia. On the third day, nung halos umiyak na sakin ang project leader ko, I had to take over from her and directly interface with Javi.

Kung bakit siya at hindi ang program manager niya, or si Jess ang nagaasikaso nito ay hindi ko maintindihan.

Is Dream-I Asia the best group to handle this? That was Javi's last taunting email despite the many proposals and revisions we sent. Kaya naman ako napapadalas ang luwas ko sa Laraya to meet with the team personally. This time, I plan to talk to Javi para maintindihan ano ba ang gusto niya.

"Love, calm down." Phil laughed nung marinig pa niya ang reklamo ko. "Working with your ex is normally not a walk in the park, but mixing your personal resentments don't help either." He said.

I gritted my teeth, "This is professional, Phil." I say. "What's behind us is already behind us. At least for me." Dagdag ko.

Purely professional. No emotions, whatsoever involved.

>>>>>

Gusto kong maiyak sa inis. Sa galit. Sa bwisit.

The meeting went well...for KBC. Nung Dream-I Asia na ang nagsasalita, Javi was shooting down our ideas and proposals. I had to take over from Maxine, my project lead, several times during the presentation.

"With all due respect, Gov. Genrio, we've done this before and it worked without fail." I emphasized at the end of the revised proposal we gave them. 

I looked at Jess who seemed to be amused, and then at Javi.

He was quiet for a moment, eyes fixed on the screen.

I sighed. "If we're not living up to the team's standards, then I guess Dream-I Asia isn't the perfect partner for this project."

 Napaangat ng tingin sakin ang KBC reps pati ang team ko. If this is really not working, why push it? Ayoko na ipilit. I'm sure Phil will understand if I tell him. 

I added. "We can talk to KBC on transitio—"

"That's it then?" Pagputol niya sakin. He looked at me and I waited for him to continue.

"Susuko ka na lang agad?" Tanong niya. Pain and anger and resentment flashed in his eyes.

I feel that this is not just about the project anymore.

Javi stood up and looked at his watch. "I actually liked this last one. We can go with this." He said. "It reminded me of one of my pet projects back in San Vicente." I froze.

"Ah, yes. Pay-It-Forward." He remarked. Just before he turned around to leave us, he looked at me and said, "Of course, you remember that, Ms. Sario. After all, you were one of its program managers back then." He looked at the rest and smiled, "I'll leave it to you guys."

What happened to pretending we were strangers?

>>>>

@ajnotawriter (Twitter)