4

(I'm happy and not at the same time. It's my birthday today and I'm stuck on my family's farm with only the people that sleep under the same roof as me. What fun quarantine is. Have a good, Good Friday.)

"What was your connection to the lady that was killed?" the other man asked when they got to me. I started to walk to the house. "She was the one that taught me how to play the piano. She was my foster parents' friend so we hung out a lot, and I'm sure there is more that I don't remember." I answered. 

"What's your name?" the girl asked. "Skylar Doe," I answered as I opened the house door. They walked in after me. I closed the door and looked to see Rose and Lily looking at us. "Well, Miss. I'm Detective Clive Babineaux. This is Liv Moore and Ravi Chakrabarti." The first man said. At least now I know their names. 

"Nice to meet you," Lily said. "If it's okay. Skylar was going to show us where she was when she saw that happened next door." Ravi said. "That's okay with us," Rose said after looking at Lily. I nodded and walked to my room. 

"If I knew I would have people in my room, I would've cleaned," I said as I got to the door. "It's fine. I'm sure we've seen messer." Clive said when I got inside. I walked over to the desk. "I was writing on my laptop when I heard fighting from the open window. I closed the screen and walked over to see Kelly standing there with someone else." I said. 

Clive walked over to the window and looked at Kelly's house. "Did you see who the killer was?" Ravi asked. "Yeah, and I know who he is too," I said. Clive looked at me. "Who is it?" He asked. "An old teacher of mine. His name is John Keller. He used to date Kelly until she broke up with him because he was accused of raping a student." I said. Clive nodded and wrote it down on his notebook. 

"Was he fired from his job?" Ravi asked. "Yeah, and right after he was fired the student that said that moved. No one was talked to her since then." I answered making Ravi nod. "So, are you on a softball team?" Liv asked. I looked to see that she was looking at my bag. "Yeah, I had a game last night," I said. "How did your team do?" Clive asked as he put his notebook away. "We won by four," I replied. 

"What position are you?" Liv asked. "I'm all over the place. I am middle outfield, first, third, and pitcher." I replied with a smile on my face. "Well, we should head out, but if you need anything or just want to talk......our numbers are on his card," Clive said as he handed me the card. I grabbed it from him. 

They smiled before walking out of the room. I heard them talk some to Rose and Lily before the door opened then close. I put the card on the desk before I walked over to the window. I closed and locked it before walking out of my room. 

"So, they are some of your mates huh," Rose said when I got there. I looked at them before nodding as an answer. "Lucky you. Having a cop and people that work in a morgue as some of your mates." Lily said. I shook my head and sat on the living room couch. 

"So that mates how many?" Rose asked as she walked over to me with a glass in her hand. "I met five so far," I answered as Rose handed me the glass. I grabbed it from her. "I made you a tea while you were talking to three of your mates," Rose said making me nod. I took a sip of the drink. 

The peach tea flavor filled my mouth. I smiled as I took another sip. "Alright, I know that you are worried about what will happen with Kelly's family, but I need you to go out and find something for Gracey," Lily said. I looked at her then my tea. "After you finish your tea. That is." She added after seeing me look at her then the cup that is in my hand. 

"Don't we already have a gift for Gracey?" I asked. Gracey is Lily's niece. She is turning eight in three days. "We do, but it'll be nice for you to get her something," Rose said as I took a big sip. "Where would I go?" I questioned. "Well, I don't know. You know what she likes. So you can go and find something that way." Lily answered as I took another sip of my drink. 

I got up from the couch and walked to my room. After I took another sip of my drink, I grabbed my blue side bag. I grabbed my wallet before putting it inside the bag. I took one last sip of my tea before grabbed my phone, earbuds, the bag that has my wallet, and the empty cup. 

I then made my way out of my room. "Alright, do you want to use the car or walk?" Rose asked as she grabbed the cup from me. "I think I'll use my bike," I answered as I put my phone in the bag with my wallet. 

"Alright, be careful," Rose said making me nod. I walked out of the house and to the garage. I plugged the earbuds into my phone before putting them in my ears. I smiled as I grabbed my bike. I then biked away from the house. 

I started to lip sing to the song as I looked for a store that is open for me to get something for my foster cousin. That's when I saw an art store. I stopped by the bike rack. I put my bike there before walking inside. I nodded my head to the music as I looked up and down at the shelves. 

I then found a sketchbook that has a purple cover. I grabbed that from the shelf as the song changed to 'We built this city' by Starship. I smiled and kept on looking. I ended up buying a sketchbook, new color pencils, and a white dream catcher. 

After paying for the items, I walked back out of the store to my bike. I climbed on and started to bike more. That's when I saw another shop that has a bunch of stuff inside. I slowed down and looked at the name. I shrugged my shoulders and parked my bike. I then walked closer to the door.