Chapter 2

P U R I T Y

"Hey. Thanks for coming on such short notice. You look great."

I smiled shyly as buckled my seatbelt. My heart was racing like crazy. "Thanks, and no worries. Wasn't like I was doing anything exciting anyways."

Ethan smiled and began pulling out of the parking lot. "So it's just three of my other friends and maybe a few others. I'm sure you'll like them. I also won't be drinking tonight so I'll be able to drive you home."

"Are you sure?" I looked at him curiously. "I'm a pretty good driver, swear."

He laughed and shook his head. "Don't worry, I never usually drink anyways. I'll be fine."

I nodded away and looked out the window, the city still very much alive and awake, my hands fumbling with my purse. Just before I got in the car I had texted Caroline his drivers plate and where I was going and obviously had my location on just in case. She told me to enjoy myself and relax and that she'd check up on my later tonight, so at least I knew I would be safe if I was getting kidnapped. Just kidding.

Anchor was a bar Caroline and I were pretty familiar with so I knew exactly where we were going and how near we were. Ethan seemed pretty confident about where he was driving too, so when he found a parking spot easily it didn't surprise me all that much.

"Ready?" He asked. I smiled, nodding, then walked by his side as we lined up behind two to three other people than showed the bouncers our ID. Minutes later we were squished together in the bar, loud music playing and bodies surrounding practically every inch of the floor.

Ethan placed a careful hand on my back and directed us to a booth on the side which was unoccupied. "My friends should be somewhere in here. I'll text them."

He got on his phone and typed away, already having a conversation with the person, then looked up and scanned his surroundings before waving and a group of three walking our way. There were two girls and a guy, all punk and intimidating looking. Kind of like Ethan- but when the girls smiled widely at me and waved, all my doubts washed away and we exchanged hugs like we were longtime friends.

"Hey! It's so nice to meet you." The first girl pulled away, allowing the second to envelope me in a quick hug. "My names Nina. This is my best friend, Alana."

"Hi! My names Ivy. It's really nice to meet you both too." I smiled, moving into the booth so the two girls could squeeze in next to me. Ethan was busy talking to the guy who'd come with the girls, both distracted and not paying attention. "Are you two are both friends of Ethan."

Nina nodded at me. "Kind of. I'm actually his sister, Alana's just my best friend but they're friends as well. We just decided to tag along with him tonight but we're usually not in the same group." She explained.

"Makes sense." I smiled. "So do you guys also go to Cornell?"

"Oh, no, we're both taking a gap year together. We're planning on backpacking around Asia soon." My eyes widened at that and I nodded, impressed, at the pair.

"That sounds amazing. You two are definitely gonna love it."

Alana grinned. "Definitely. Anyways, have you ordered any drinks or did you just get here?"