Chapter 13

P U R I T Y

A week had gone by since my picnic 'date' with Kade and I hadn't seen him since due to our schedules. However, we had been talking constantly on the phone and face-timing each other practically every night. My lack of sleep often caused me to fall asleep on call multiple times, making Kade screenshot and create a compilation of my sleeping profile. He'd compiled it into a post and even put it on his Instagram account, his private one of course, with the caption Sleepyhead.

You wouldn't be able to tell it was me if it wasn't for the tag he put up or if you actually knew me since my nails were painted and I had acrylics. Otherwise the hoodie I wore thankfully shadowed over my eye-bag prone face.

Call me petty, but what pleased me the most weren't the cute comments from his friends or Ethan or even Caroline who fully supported our friendship- rather, it was the fact that the Francesca liked the picture. It wasn't like it was a big deal but, like I said, I trusted my girl intuition that she liked him and I was happy she saw.

"Finished with your essay?"

As per usual we were on FaceTime again but I had to finish an essay instead of just talking with him. He didn't want to end the call though so instead remained silent on his side of the phone, scrolling through whatever apps he had and occasionally asking me how it was going and if I needed help.

"Just about." I typed in the final sentence, rereading the conclusion once more and fixing a few errors before sighing loudly and saving the document to multiple places. I put the screen of my lap top down and flopped onto my bed with my phone sideways besides my head.

Kade's face reappeared and the pause screen was gone. "Finally."

I laid sideways and smiled. "You didn't actually have to wait, you know."

"I know." He nodded and readjusted the hood over his hair. "I wanted to, don't worry. Didn't take that long anyways."

It had taken me an hour and a quarter. Kade was either the most patient man ever or a really good liar. "Well, thanks for waiting. I'm tired as ever now."

He yawned, "For once, same. I think my lack of sleep is getting to me."

"What do you even do when I fall asleep?" From what I knew, he had to wait a few minutes for me to be deeply asleep before he could screenshot. I was a bit of a light sleeper so the sound would've woken me up and he knew that from the first time.

"I usually fall asleep after then I just let my phone die." I looked at him with a smile. "What, why're you looking at me like that?"

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ears, "I just assumed you hung up after you screenshot. I'm a bit surprised is all."

Kade shrugs. "Falling asleep on the phone with you is nice. Seeing you so... peaceful, is cute."

My cheeks, as per usual, went rosy but Kade couldn't tell from the phone. He let out another yawn and in return I did the same before reaching over the phone to turn my bedside lamp off. The only thing illuminating my face was my led lights but they didn't do the trick too well. I watched Kade do the same and we slid ourselves under the cover and got comfortable.

"Are you free tomorrow, Ives?"

I thought about it for a second. Today was Wednesday so I'd have my online classes tomorrow for two hours, three hours at most and more than enough time to hang out. My main project was finished now so all I had to do was write up the written part of the assignment.