Chapter 17

P U R I T Y

"Candles?"

"Right here."

"And they're the vanilla scented ones? Right?"

"Mhm."

"And the strawberries and chocolate?"

"Cooling in the fridge. All twenty five of them."

"Good. The movie?"

"Waiting on the tv."

"Food?"

I take a sip of the substance from the wooden spoon in hand. "Should be done in just five. Salad's already finished and the bread should be finished by the time he arrives."

Care squeals. "Ahh, okay, perfect! And he'll get to smell the fresh bread and everything. It smells amazing in here so he won't miss it. I better get going so he doesn't see me, are there any last minute things you think are missing?"

"Nope." I smile at my best friend with appreciation. "Everything looks perfect. Really. Thank you, Care."

"No need to thank me." She smiles, her plump lips stretching with the red lipstick she had. Just looking at her made me envious of her prettiness. "I love all this mushy romance stuff. Anytime you, or anyone, needs help I'm here! Have fun tonight."

"Thanks." I grin and we hug momentarily. "You too! Tell Tag I say hi."

"Of course." She nods, adjusting the strap of her bag over her shoulder. They were having dinner with his parents again since they loved her the first time- although they've been together years now, they never formally met because Tag's parents lived in a different stare. He was in our high school through scholarship. "I'll make my way out, no need to walk me. Have a nice night!"

"You as well!" I blow her a kiss and wave goodbye, giggling as she almost trips over her own two feet from her heels before clumsily finding her way outside our door. I'm left in silence seconds later and turn off the stove, slowly beginning to pour the soup into a glass bowl.

Care helped me make one of my mums recipes, a pork stew-type dish with potatoes and tomatoes and all things yummy. It was really light but filling, and with fresh bread it was even more perfect. There was also a rocket salad to go with it and champagne just for the fun of it. For dessert there were chocolate covered strawberries, and I'm sure it's easy to guess who came up with that.

In typical Caroline fashion, she did the majority of the decorating and put candles around the whole apartment and dimmed the lights which we were fortunate enough to have the option for. We already kept fairy lights in the living room so she turned those on and put the vase of flowers Tag gave her last week on the dining table as a finishing touch. There were other small things around the apartment which just added to the romantic-vibe of everything and, as cheesy as it was, I loved it.

As I poured the last of the stew into the bowl, the doorbell rung and I clumsily put the pot back on top of the stove and wiped my hands off with the tea towel.

I was doing a pretty good job avoiding getting food on my clothes- with the help of my apron, of course- but before that I was living on the edge and cooking with my dinner wear; black skinny jeans and a cute crop top with some jewellery. Kade knew I never dressed up too much and neither did he, so I wasn't too worried.