Chapter 24

P U R I T Y

"What do you think he was talking about?" I mumble into my sheets, eyes peering up at hers. Caroline bites her lip and shrugs, laying flat on her back.

"Do you want me to be honest or do you want me to be reassuring?"

I sigh. I wasn't sure, "Both." So I settled with two answers.

"He's not cheating. I really don't think he is," Care answers slowly, eyes still trained on my ceiling. "But I think... I think maybe..." She pauses, evaluating her words before she speaks, "maybe it's something illegal."

Yeah. We were definitely thinking the same things. "But Kade? Of all people? Do you think he does those things?"

"I mean, it's a possibility." She shrugs, now looking at me, "are you that surprised though? He's a nineteen year old, used-to-be playboy. Who knows what he and Ethan did in high school or maybe still do. Have you ever talked about it?"

"Not really, no..." I ponder for a second, "I mean, how was that topic ever supposed to come up? Should I have said, 'Hey, Kade, are you and Ethan hardcore druggies with Francesca? Cool! Thanks for letting me know!'"

Caroline bites back a smile, clearly wanting to remain serious about this situation for my sake but finding the comment funny. I didn't blame her- she could laugh if she wanted. I wasn't exactly feeling mad, or upset: just disappointed. Especially because Care was right- who knows what he's done previously? Or still does, just without telling me?

"Does Kade know about..."

"No. No, he doesn't."

"Maybe you should tell him. So he's aware and conscious around you."

"I don't want his pity. It's not mine to take," My arms wrap against my waist and I hold myself securely, "besides, how would I bring that up? Tell him I was spying on him and his ex-hookup who's also obsessed with him and then force him to tell me the truth because-," I stop myself from rambling, zipping my mouth shut and choosing to just stare blankly at the wall. Care turns on her side and looks at me, letting out a small sigh.

"...Do you wanna call your mum?"

I shake my head immediately. "Definitely not. I don't want to bring that up around her. Maybe he's not telling me for a reason, you know, maybe he's just stressed and needs to release that energy."

"Sure." Caroline nods slowly, "yeah, that could be true. You're just gonna leave it alone then?"

I curl up and nod. "Yeah. Yeah, I'll leave it alone."

My phone suddenly chimes from where I abandoned it last, underneath my second pillow with Caroline's phone next to it. I slide my hand under and take it out, turning on the screen and reading the text that appears.

(1) Kade:
Hey princess.
Can't do dinner tonight,
too busy with work :( see me soon tho.
Missing you x

"He said he can't go for dinner tonight." I hand my phone to care who reads the text carefully then types out a reply for me. I trust that she won't say anything crazy and let her go at it, taking a peak at what she said once it's handed back to me.