Chapter 6 - Docherty

End of Chapter 5 -

"Martha. Get Y/N and get out of here. We aren't safe." Jack whispers to Martha, handing her the vortex manipulator. "Go!" Martha puts the teleporter onto her wrist and sprints over to you. She grabs a hold of you from behind and presses a button before you could protest. The Doctor looks over at where you both just were and nods, sorrow lacing his eyes.

Suddenly, you both were back on Earth with millions of toclafane flying over you both. "We're coming back." Martha says, "come on Y/N." She helps you up, and you follow her into the trees behind the two of you. We must save the Doctor, Martha's family and Jack.

***

Earth, 365 Days Later

You and Martha have been roaming the planet for a whole year now. You've been to more places than you can name, spreading the word of the Doctor and how amazing he is. Of course, you don't know that much about him to say how great he is, but you're trying your hardest. You and Martha wash up on the shores of Africa, and a man signals you both over to him. He introduces himself as Tom Milligan, he's a paediatrician working in Africa. He's a nice guy, and you can see Martha has taken a fancy towards him. Who blames her though? That's one attractive man.

"No need to ask who you are, the famous Martha Jones. However, who is your friend and how long has it been since you were both last in England?" Tom asks.

"I'm Y/N, Martha and the Doctor said they needed me so I joined them."

"365 days, its been a long year." Martha states, following the second question Tom asked the both of you.

"So, what's the plan?" Tom asks.

"This Professor Docherty, we need to see her. Can you get us there?" Martha answers.

"I can. She works in a repair shed within Nuclear Plant Seven. I can get you both inside. Why is she so important?"

"The more you know, the more you're a risk." You stop Tom from asking more questions. You don't want him to have a target on his back too, like you and Martha do. Thank God for the Doctor and the creation of the perception filters!

***

"How come no one can see you both but I can?" Tom asks, confused. "Those toclafane didn't notice you guys at all, but noticed me!"

"Perception filters, Tom. The Master set up Archangel, that mobile network. Fifteen satellites around the planet, but really it's transmitting this low level psychic field. That's how everyone got hypnotised into thinking he was Harold Saxon. The perception filter is tuned into the same frequency, makes us sort of not invisible... just unnoticeable." Martha holds up the perception filter, which was wrapped around her neck. You also reach for yours, and show Tom too.

"But I can see you both."

"That's because you wanted to." You reply.

"Yeah, suppose I did."

***

Professor Docherty's Workshop

You follow Tom and Martha into the shed Professor Docherty works in. She seems to be hard at work trying to repair her TV. You know that TVs haven't worked for almost a year because the Master, or 'Harold', tuned them out of use. They're only used when he has a 'special announcement' to be shared, usually about the toclafane or a countdown to total Earth domination.

"Televisions don't work anymore." Martha states, folding her arms and waiting for the woman to turn round. You move to stand next to her, and also fold your arms.

"We've been told there's going to be a transmission from the man himself. There!" She bashes the TV one last time, and the Master comes into view.

"My people. Salutations on this, the Eve of War, lovely woman. But, I know there's all sorts of whispers down there. Stories of two children, walking the Earth, giving you hope. But I ask you, how much hope has this man got? Except, he's not that old. But, he's an alien with a much greater lifespan than you stunted little apes. But what if it showed? What if I suspended your capacity to regenerate? All nine hundred years of your life, Doctor. What if we could see them?" The Master taunts the Doctor. You gasp at how awful 'Harold' really was, he's a monster. How did I work for him for six months?!

You continue to watch the TV as the Master attacks the Doctor with his 'laser screwdriver'. Your hand flies to cover your mouth as you watch him age continuously. He looks like he's in so much pain. A tear falls from your eye. You look over at Martha, who has no expression on her face. You place your hand on her arm, and she looks over at you with watery eyes.

"I can't lose him, Y/N. I simply can't." Martha says, before she gives into her tears and lets them flow. You turn and engulf her in a hug, as she sobs onto your shoulder. Seeing her like this broke your heart. You've both had no one except each other for the whole year, you've become so close. Almost inseparable. You couldn't handle seeing her cry, you just couldn't, so you begin crying too. Emotions really are your weakness. You pull away from Martha and hold her at arms length, both of your hands on either of her arms.

"I'm going to kill him myself." You state, without looking at the television to check if the Doctor was still alive. Martha turns to the television and smiles. "What?"

"Y/N, look! The Doctor's still alive!" She exclaims, engulfing you in another hug. This time, instead of sorrow, her tears are full of happiness. You turn to the TV and see a little man, or at least you think it's a little man.

"Is that him? The Doctor?" You ask, confused.

"That's him! He's still alive!" She starts jumping up and down, clapping her hands. You begin to do the same and Martha laughs. "We need to catch ourselves a sphere, now." She says, sternly.

***

"Are you sure this is going to work, Martha? That tape was a one-off fluke of bringing a toclafane down, you're sure it will work and we'll find out what's inside?" You ask cautiously.

"Y/N, we have to take every chance we have. The Doctor would do the same thing. We've got this." She replies. "Tom, Docherty. Are you both ready?"

"You do your job, Jones, and I'll do mine!" Docherty shouts.

"We're ready."

Martha turns to you and nods her head. You run to where you arranged to meet Tom and warn Docherty of his arrival. You look back at Martha, who is stood in the same place as she was when you were talking. She's in position.

Tom fires three rounds of the gun, and a sphere comes into his view. He takes off running towards you, "go Y/N!" He shouts whilst sprinting towads you. You look up in shock at how quickly he got the attention of a sphere, and begin to run towards Martha and Docherty.

"Martha!" You shout as the toclafane releases it's blades. "You need to go, now!" You're too focused on the path ahead of you, that you don't notice a second sphere coming towards you from a connecting path. The sphere pushes one of it's blades into your stomach, and you fall to the floor. Both toclafane follow Tom into the lightning field, and Docherty ignites it. They both fall to the floor, inactivated.

"Y/N, we did it! We caught ourselves a sphere!" Martha exclaims and turns to face you, but you're nowhere to be seen. "Y/N?" She begins frantically looking around the whole base, and sees you lying unconscious on the ground. You're bleeding out of your side, and your leg is bent an unhealthy way. You're laying on one of your arms, which is covered in cuts and bruises. "Y/N!" She shouts, running to your side.