Chapter 13 - Activation

End of Chapter 12 -

"It's an activation unit. A trigger element, as you said before. I think it induces labour in all those people taking the capsules. You're brilliant, you know that? Couldn't have figured it out if it wasn't for you!"

As the Doctor releases you from the hug, a whirring begins in the cupboard behind you all. The Doctor whips round and opens it to see a grey machine. The machine was lined with green lights, and words in an alien language were ascending in the middle on a screen.

"Oh, that's not good. We need to find whoever is in charge right now." The Doctor says.

"What's happening?" You ask, scared.

"The machine's been shifted into labour mode, everyone's going to die!" He panics, reaching up to grab his hair and tug at it. "What do I do? I don't know how to turn it off!"

***

"Doctor, you're scaring me! How do we solve it? Are people really going to die if we don't do anything to stop this?" You begin to panic, and cling to the Doctor as though your life depended on it.

"Y/N, listen to me, this is very important. Go to the top floor and find the director's office. They'll probably be in there waiting for a negotiation with someone. Go there and talk them into turning the inducer off. I believe in you, you can do it. Donna, I need your help with finding where the Adipose are at a high risk of spawning. Can you do that? I'll stay here and find another way to turn the inducer off. Go!" The Doctor shouts, peeling your arms off from around his waist and holding them in his hands. "Go now, Y/N. London is depending on you." 

Before you have the chance to move, the Doctor leans forward and gives you a quick peck on the lips before pushing you towards the hallway Donna was running down. Holy shit, he kissed me. What happens now? Did it mean anything to him?

***

Top Floor of the Adipose Industries

You walk down the hallway towards the director's office. Your head is still swirling over the fact the Doctor kissed you. You're too lost in your thoughts that you nearly walk into the door to the office, luckily you stop yourself walking just before the door. God, why am I so swept up on this? 

"Come in." You hear from inside. Shit it's the director. "Hello, Y/N."

You enter the room and see a woman leaning against a dark brown desk. Behind her is the second inducer machine. She's rather beautiful for someone who looks around fifty.

"You know my name? How?" You ask, cautiously approaching her.

"I know everything that happens here. Oh, and the Doctor calls your name a lot from what I've seen on the CCTV cameras I have installed all around the building. I think that's his name, Doctor. Anyway, you've come to negotiate with me about the inducer. Bad timing, darling. It's already been kicked into overdrive. Millions of people will die in order for a new generation of Adipose to be born into the universe. I think it's rather beautiful. Much better than your way of birthing children. Oh, how silly of me. I haven't introduced myself, I'm Matron Cofelia of the Five-Striaghten Classibindi Nursery Fleet, but I go by Miss Foster here. Foster, as in 'Foster Mother'." She holds her hand out for you to shake, but you do not return the favour. Instead, you stand still with your arms crossed. 

"Oh come now, Y/N. I'm not going to hurt you." She says, smirking.

"No, but you're planning on killing millions of people. You don't care about them?" You ask, bluntly.