Chapter 8 - The Parting of the Ways Pt.2

End of Chapter 7 -

"Martha... Martha Jones. Y/N? I can see you! Out you both come, little ones. Come and meet your master. I'll give the order to shoot unless you both surrender. Ask yourselves, what would the Doctor do?" You look at Martha, who takes the key off her neck and begins to stand up. She holds her hand out for you to take, and you do.

You follow Martha to the door, and she takes Tom's gun from him. She opens the door and you both step out. "Oh yes. Oh very well done. Good little humans. He trained you both well. Give me the bag. Throw it on over." Martha takes her backpack off, and throws it in his direction. The Master pulls out his laser screwdriver and fires at the backpack, setting it alight. "And now, good companions, your work is done. Come along, back to the Valiant."

***

"When you die, the Doctor should be witness, hmm? Almost dawn, guys, and planet Earth marches to war." He turns away from you both, and walks to where the teleport to the Valiant is. "Come on!" He shouts at the both of you, whilst pointing his screwdriver at you both.

You and Martha both look at each other before following the Master. You glance back at the house you were just in, as Tom peaks out of the door. You give him a slight wave, which he returns before shutting the door to protect everyone inside.

You turn back to Martha and the Master, and get beamed up to the Valiant.

***

Back on the Flight Deck of the Valiant

The Master makes his way to the stairway at the front of the flight deck, and whips back around to face you both. The Doctor watches from a small bird cage, his hands gripping the bars as he hangs his head in shame. Jack is beside him with handcuffs on. He looks over at the Doctor, then back down at the floor. The Master calls in Martha's family, who are also in chains. Tish is in a maid's outfit, as Francine and Clive are in prison-wear. 

"Citizens of Earth, rejoice and observe. Y/N, Martha, kneel. Down below, the fleet is ready to launch. Two hundred thousand ships set to burn across the universe. Are we ready? Three minutes to align the black hole converters. Counting down, I never could resist a ticking clock. Are you ready, my children?" A chorus of answers rain down from the toclafane, all agreeing to fight the universe in the Master's honour. "At zero, to mark this day, the children Martha Jones and Y/N Y/L/N will die. My first bloods. Any last words, both of you? No? Such disappointments, both of you."

The Master turns to the Doctor, "you had companions who could absorb the time vortex. These two are useless. Bow your heads. So it falls to me, as Master of all, to establish from this day, a new order of Time Lords. From this day forward-"

Martha begins to laugh, and you look at her puzzled. How the hell is she laughing? We're about to be killed!

"What's so funny?" The Master asks.

"A gun. A gun in four parts scattered across the world? I mean, come on, did you really believe that?" Martha begins to explain.

"As if I'd ask her to kill." The Doctor interrupts. 

"We knew what Professor Docherty would do. The Resistance knew about her son. We told her about the gun, so she'd get us here at the right time. Don't you want to know what we were doing travelling the world? I told a story, that's all. No weapons, just words. We done exactly what the Doctor said. We went across the continents, on our own. Everywhere we went, we found the people, and I told them my story. I told them about the Doctor, and I told them to pass it on, to spread the word so that everyone would know about the Doctor."

"Faith and hope? Is that all? Is that your weapon, prayer?" The Master laughs.

"We gave them an instruction, just as the Doctor said. We told them that if everyone thinks of one word, at one specific time. Right across the world, one words, just one thought at one moment but with fifteen satellites!" She concludes, and you stand up next to her taking her hand.

"The Archangel Network! Brilliant!" Jack says.

"A telepathic field binding the whole human race together, with all of them, every single person on Earth thinking the same thing at the same time. That word... is Doctor." You finish Martha's explanation, and smile at her.

A chorus of 'Doctor' can be heard from everyone on the flight deck, including yourself and Martha. Even Lucy Saxon joined in. "I've had a whole year to tune myself into the psychic network and integrate with it's matrices. The one thing you can't do, is stop them thinking."

"No! Stop! I order you to stop!" The Master frantically pleads the Doctor, who is being lifted by a blue energy field, provided by the Archangel Network.

"Tell me the human race is degenerate now, when they can do this." The Doctor says. You look over at Martha, who has darted over to where her family were. She engulfs them in a group hug, and looks back at you. You smile and wander over to Jack, picking the lock of his handcuffs. He hugs you and you smile, hugging him back. He smelt of nothing but sweat, but you didn't mind, you're just happy everyone is okay.

The Doctor lands in front of the Master, who is cowering in a corner of the flight deck. "I forgive you." The Doctor says, as he bends down and cradles the Master. However, the Master had other ideas. He suddenly shot up and ran towards the door of the flight deck, Jack lets go of you and chases him. Jack grabs the collar of his shirt and drags him back to the Doctor.

"You're coming with me, you're my responsibility now." The Doctor says, but is interrupted by a shot of a gun. You gasp and your hand flies to cover your mouth as you see who shot the gun, Lucy. You slowly approach her, and take the gun from her. You throw it onto the floor and kick it over to Jack, who picks it up and puts it in his pocket.

The Master falls to the floor, and the Doctor runs over to him, cradling him again. "Always the women." The Master chokes out.

"I didn't see her. Regenerate!" The Doctor cries out of rage, hugging his former best friend.

"I guess you don't know me that well Doctor, I refuse." The Master says with the last of his breath, dying in the Doctor's arms. The Doctor lets out a strangled sob, and you walk over, hugging him from behind. He falls into your embrace, and cries so much that he cannot breathe. 

"Doctor, let's go." You say softly, not wanting to drag him away from his friend.

"Yeah." He says coldly, before wiping his eyes and standing up. He looks at everyone, before leaving to find the TARDIS and get everyone home safely.