1. We're gonna need a book on rats too

I close the door of the classroom behind me with a huff

I close the door of the classroom behind me with a huff. My first day at Beacon Hills High School had just begun and already, I was sick of it.

I tried to remind myself that I was here for a reason, a mission of sorts.

Scenes from the nightmare I had just two nights ago flashed in the back of my mind, I'm not exactly sure what the dream was, but what I do know is that it was like a war. I remember a boy and his blood pooling around him, the ruby substance staining the boy's clothes, that was bad but the blood of others staining his hands was worse.

I turned to walk to my locker before I spot a strangely familiar face, his light brown hair swaying slightly as he looked at his friend who was walking away from him.

I walk towards him with a fast pace and grab his shoulder, he jumps slightly surprise and his blue eyes meet my brown. I don't lift my hand and he looks at it, it rested on his shoulder before his gaze quickly snaps back to mine and I can tell from his quick movements and shaky breath that he is scared.

"Sorry." I mutter but I keep studying his face for an answer as to how I know him but I can't find it. He doesn't reply and I continue. "What's your name?"

"Uh-" He scratches the back of his neck, "I'm uh n-Nolan, Nolan Holloway." I squint my eyes slightly at him.

Nope, the name didn't ring any bells. Maybe I'm just going crazy, it would make sense.

"I'm Eliza Jameson, guess I'll see you around Nolan."

"Y-yeah sure." He manages to say just before I'm out of earshot.

___

"So, Miss Jameson, I see quite a few empty spaces on your timetable this year." Monroe, the guidance counselor sat in front of me with an attempt at a comforting smile on her face, unsurprisingly the smile wasn't actually comforting at all, it just put me more on edge.

"I'm a busy person, I don't have time for extra classes, my GPA is fine anyway." I reply monotonously.

She sighs, knowing that she wasn't getting anywhere with me.
"Yes, you're GPA is fine, I think you should focus on getting it better, you're a very capable student."

"I'm aware and I appreciate your trying to help me, but as I said, I'm kind of busy."

"I see you are taking Latin, why not Spanish?" She asks writing something down on a piece of paper.

"Prefiero probar algo nuevo." Monroe nods in reply before speaking again. When was this going to be over?

"What do you want to do, after university, I mean?"

"I want to be a nurse."

"Hm, that's not an easy job, why do you want to do it?"

"I like helping people." I answered quickly.

"So do I." She replied with a small smile. "Sometimes we have to do hard jobs but in the end, we are helping people, that's why I do this." I couldn't help but think there was a double meaning behind her words, but that could just be me jumping to conclusions trying to figure out what's going on in this town.

It would be hard to think that a teacher, a person who dedicates themselves to teach others would have bad intentions.

The meeting was finally over, as I stepped out of the office it felt like I could breathe easier, like the air outside of Monroe's office was thinner.

As I walked through the halls of the high school, I got the feeling that there was a lot more happening here than I first thought, you could feel it in the air, see it in the way people looked at each other. You didn't have to be a wolf to sense the fear that had spread through this school.

What happened here?

My thoughts were interrupted by a bell, signaling that I was going to be late for my next class. I took off running to try and dodge a lecture on the consequences of being late to class.

When I arrived, the rest of the students sat at their desks, I sat down beside a girl with short blonde hair who already, had dropped her head on her desk and fallen asleep.

The aged teacher had been droning on about triangles when I zoned out, I was just staring at the floor of the classroom, noticing how worn the floor in the room looked.

That was when I saw a black rat running into the classroom through a vent, then dozens more came piling out of the small space.

The students started to scream and panic around me, even the blonde girl beside me woke up in a panic and jumped on top of her desk along with many others and I watched how the teacher was trying his best to calm the class out but he was as freaked out as the rest of his class.

I stood up from my desk and watched the rats run, why were there rats in a classroom?

That's when I lifted my gaze off the floor causing my eyes to focus on a man with a buzzed head and a tan jacket who was standing at the opposite end of the classroom, looking at the students panic, it was like he was enjoying their fear.

His eyes met my questioning gaze and without a word, he left the room.

Well, that wasn't creepy in the slightest.

Two boys from my year came running into the classroom through the door that was closest to me, the two I knew from being in a couple of classes with. Their names were Liam and Mason.

"Looks like we're gonna need a book on rats too." Mason told Liam as they watched the rats continuously run through the vent. I eyed them curiously as they left the classroom.

I lifted my bag off the floor making sure that there were not rats inside and rested it on my shoulder as I left the classroom to follow the two boys.

___

Okay first chapter down. Tell me what you think. Ideas corrections.

Make sure to vote and comment so I know people are enjoying this book.

Bye!