Stupid Secrets

[Clara's pov]

I was on my way home from school when I got a text from Jamal:
J.
Monse knows!

Me.
What! How?

J.
I may have told her ...

Me.
I'm coming over.

I should have known. Jamal couldn't keep a secret if his life depended on it. I put my phone in my pocket and started walking faster to Jamal's place. When I got there his dad was out front hosing the plants.
"Hi Dwayne" I smiled and waved. Dwayne was like a second father to me. He and my dad are pretty close and he even gave me a job at his joint. He knows i'm sick and not to tell anyone even his son. But he doesn't treat me any different which is all I really want. I feel like I need to be the one to tell people but only if my situation worsens but for the time being i'm fine. More than fine!
"Clar! how have you been?" He turned the hose off and came to me to give me a big hug.
"I'm okay, is Jamal home?" I said walking to the front door because I already knew the answer.
"Yeah he's probably exhausted from training. Did he tell you he made the team?!" He looked so proud of his son.
"He did?" I asked genuinely surprised.
"I know, i'm shocked too" he said in a low voice. We both laughed a little and I walked inside to Jamal's room.
"You made the team?" I asked as he took off his shoes and put them in his closet. I sat down on the edge of his bed.
"No" He answered. He sat down beside me anxiously shaking his leg. "But if I didn't tell Monse what Cesar said she woulda snitched and I-"
"It's okay" I cut him off.
"What?" He looked at me confused.
"It was bound to come out some time. That's how secrets work." I shrugged. We should've told her straight away.
"Cesar made things worse though" He said as he got up and changed into his work shirt.
"What'd Cesar do?" I love that i'm always in the loop even when i'm not there. Jamal tells me everything and I love it.
"Well he said, and I quote" He cleared his throat dramatically before continuing. "... BuT iF yOu WaNt To SiT oN mY fAcE yOu'Re GoNnA hAvE tO pUt ThAt MoUtH On PaUsE" He paused for a second. "And scene." He dropped his head and then looked up at me again.
"No way." My jaw dropped. Cesar isn't the type of person to say something like that.
"Monse is pissed and I mean pissed" He said as we walked out the house. I made my way home but I couldn't stop thinking about the way Cesar's been acting lately. 

----

Before I walked inside I looked over to the Santos house and there was a bunch of cholos sitting out front drinking and smoking. I spotted Cesar on his skateboard and out of nowhere Monse showed up and pushed him off. Next thing you know Cesar's getting his butt beat by a girl. I dropped my bag and ran over to stop the fight.
"Mons!" I managed to pull her off and she started going off at me saying that she doesn't need any of us but I don't take it to heart because I know she's mad. She stormed off and I quickly texted Jamal everything that just went down. Surely he'll tell Ruby. I put my phone in my pocket and walked over to Cesar who was still sitting on the floor processing what just happened. I crouched down so we could see eye to eye.
"I heard what you said to her, that's not like you." I said in a low voice so only Cesar could hear. I wouldn't want to embarrass him even more.
"You don't get it Clar, I had to" He said quietly. Something in his eyes had me feeling sorry for him. He was scared.
"I'll see you at school tomorrow?" He nodded and I ruffled his hair then got up and walked back to my house. I could hear some of the others making fun of him but I didn't have it in me to turn around and say anything.

I walked into my house and my phone went off. It was Jamal:
J.
I told Ruby what happened. He said just let her be mad, she'll come back.

Me.
Okay, cool.

Now I'm just worried about Cesar.

****

A/N:
I promise Spooky will appear more! I just want to introduce Clara properly. But hope y'all are safe and well during this whole quarantine mayhem!

<3