Pushover

[Clara's pov]

Every two weeks I have to go to the hospital for a check up but I'm tired of hearing the same thing just different day.

"You've been taking good care of yourself... Expect to be tired... Take your medication... Come back straight away if anything out of the ordinary happens..."

I guess the reason why I try to always be nice is because I don't want to die and have people only remember bad things about me. Maybe the nickname 'Kindness' isn't all that bad. I just hope it's more than a nickname.

----

I decided to go to the game alone. It's no secret that i'm closer to Jamal than I am to the rest. I know I should make friends my age but I don't think I have enough time to make more friends than the one I already have. I still cant believe Jamal made the team... kinda. Apparently Ruby managed to convince Coach Ron to let Jamal play. I got to school and the bleachers were full so I had to squeeze past a lot of people which I hate. I shoulda came earlier, dangit.
"Watch where you're going." I felt someone shove me.
"Sorry." I tried to get past everyone as nicely as I could but I guess everyone's in a bad mood today.

[Oscar's pov]

I drove to Freeridge High to see what the deal was with this football game. When Cesar told me Turner's kid was playing I just had to see it for myself. The school was already packed when I got there. I hate big crowds like this because it just means more eyes on the guy with the teardrop tattoo. As soon as I got to my seat everyone around me slowly moved away making side comments but I just ignored them. I looked around pretending I couldn't hear them then I spotted Kindness in the crowd. There was a group, of what looked like students, ganging up on her. At first I wasn't gonna do shit but then I saw one of the girls push Kindness causing her to almost fall over. I rolled my eyes and made my way over. I stood between Kindness and the bitch that pushed her and just gave her and her friends the death stare. Then they all scurried off. That's what I thought.
"You okay?" I turned to Kindness and she looked up at me smiling. Again with the smiling.
"You know you didn't have to do that?" She locked eyes with me but I couldn't hold eye contact so I just looked at the field.
"It was nothing." I said still looking away. How manly. My palms started to sweat and I was starting to feel something uncomfortable in my stomach so I turned to leave but she grabbed my arm and pulled me back.
"The game's starting, sit with me!" She sat down and pat the empty seat beside her for me to sit. Ignoring the turning of my stomach, I sat down beside her.

----

The game's almost over and I feel like Kindness cheered harder for Jamal than she did for anyone else. I don't know why when all he's done throughout this whole game is sit on a bench. Benchwarmer. I cant help notice how overly positive she is though. We've been standing since half time and honestly my feet are starting to hurt but looking at her right now is making me feel something. She tucked her hair behind her ear and started cheering for her benchwarming friend. I've never seen someone so... happy. She started jumping up and down and turned to me.
"Jamal's on!" She screamed so loud that the people around us started staring but she couldn't care less. Then I saw Turner's kid run on to the field and I started laughing. 
No shit. He's really playing.

----

Kindness dragged me to the locker rooms with her to congratulate Turner's kid. Of course, as soon as I walked in, the room cleared in a matter of seconds.
"Jamal!" She ran over and hugged him. He smiled with her but when he saw me his smile slowly faded.
"Oscar..." He dragged out my name as I walked over. I still cant believe Freeridge won with Turner's kid. I stood behind Kindness who went to move but Turner's kid pulled her back and mumbled for her to stay.
"You played well, kid" They both looked at me surprised that I actually said something nice. I smiled at him because, I don't know, I guess I want them to see I was being for real. "Did the Ridge proud, if you need anything I got you."
"Lil Ricky." He said before hiding behind Kindness. I stopped smiling and looked at him confused. "Where can I find him?" He asked from behind his human shield. I am a man of my word so if this is what he needs then whatever. I gave him an address ... wait till he finds out it's a cemetery.

[Clara's pov]

"You need a ride home?" Spooky asked me on the way to the carpark.
"I'm good, thanks." I smiled at him and he rolled his eyes. I swear he does that every time I smile. "Hey thanks for saving me today, by the way." I blurted out. I realised I didn't actually thank him. He turned around and started storming over to where I was standing making me step back, a little scared because he looked angry.
"Don't thank me just quit being a pushover." He raised his voice. I took another step back and looked up at him. He relaxed his shoulders and let out a sigh. "I'm not gonna always be there to save you Kindness. Quit being so nice and stick up for yourself." He lowered his voice but he was definitely still mad. I could feel tears forming in my eyes so I looked down at my feet. I didn't know what to say. I know people don't think straight when they're mad but this time felt different. My tears started falling and I didn't know what else to do so I left Spooky in the middle of the parking lot and ran home. 
I wouldn't survive anywhere.

****

A/N:
Ignore any mistakes or tell me so I can fix them! Also if you have any questions about anything in this book so far just comment, I feel like i'm moving too fast with this whole plot. Hopefully everything starts making more sense further along the line though lmao 

<3