11%

[Ilani]

"Knock knock" , I said lowly as I slowly opened the front door to my parents house. As usual , I didn't get any answer. In which I didn't to much dwell on.

I closed the door behind me as I began walking through the opened spacious living room. I thought I'd come by to check on them , mainly father though.

Mother haven't quite proved her care for me to earn my respect. We rarely talk , and if we do it's about something bad dealing with me.

"Dad , hey there" , I said as a cheery smile crept on my face at the sight of my dad standing in the kitchen. He started fumbling with something , quickly putting whatever it was in the drawer , closing it quickly.

The smile on my face slowly faded away , as a more confused look plastered onto my face.

"Lani , hey ! how are you darling ?" , he asked as he began walking away from the drawer and wiping his hands onto his khakis. The confused look that lied on my face seconds later  went away as I brushed the thought to the side.

"Oh Y'know me , could be better and you ? How are you ?" , I asked as I began sitting on the stool that was at the island. He walked around the island and pulled out the stool beside me , taking a seat.

"Good , your mother been your mother. Acting like she runs the place..She went to a business meeting earlier this morning.."  , My dad began to explain in a sighing manner as he looked down at the counter in a bit of distress.

I placed my hand on top of his fidgeting hand , causing him to look up  at me. Giving him eyes of concern , I could tell there was something causing him to be down.

"Dad I ask how are you , not mom" , I said as I rubbed over his hands giving him a weak smile. He sighed as he nodded his head.

"The pills I take for my Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy , I've ran all out before the refilling date..." , he started to explain , rubbing his hands on his head , pushing his hair to the front of his head.

"Dad , I -I Uh ... The pills were just restocked 2 weeks ago how ?" , I asked confused , furrowing my eyebrows together , stumbling on my words.

" The pain in my heart just wont end. It's as if the muscles can't pump as fast as they use too..causing unbearable chest pain..." , he began to explain as he twisted his wedding ring on his finger.

"Its to much to bare Lani , so taking 3 pills a day is the only way it'll mend the pain.." , he said as if he didn't want to tell me , rubbing his hands together , avoiding eye contact with me.

"Why didn't you tell me this sooner ? Did you tell mother ?" , I asked shifting my fully attention on him , becoming worried.

Father had developed a heart disease 2 years ago. Something we'd never thought would happen in a family like ours. Well , that was quite vanity of myself. Of course something like that would happen to our family , we soon realized money couldn't buy everything.

The heart disease started off as something light. A few months it started to get serious. Life threatening serious.

"I didn't even tell your mother for god sakes Lani , why would I tell you  ?" , he asked seeming to grow more and more into distress.

"Because I'm not my mother" , I said defensively in a 'Duh' manner , furrowing my brows becoming a bit irritated.

"You're right.." , he sighed, releasing the built up tension inside of him.

"I'm sorry , you're nothing like your mother. It's just I haven't found the courage to tell anyone. Not even you... I can't seem to find the words I would like to tell your mother. And if I do , the words that I find just don't seem to be enough.."