Chapter 7

When Thea left out the back door, Niklaus, Kol, and Elijah looked at one another with confusion and worry.

"What happened that causes a girl centuries younger than us to have flashbacks as often as she says she does?" Elijah asks, looking at Nik.

"I'm not sure. I also want to know what causes her to feel the need to be so secretive with us. I know she's warming up, I want to know why she is doing it so cautiously and strategically," Niklaus replied.

"Maybe she's expecting us to betray her or something," Kol said jokingly.

A look of realization appears on all three of the males' faces.

"She's expecting us to betray her," Niklaus whispers. 

This realization created a feeling of sadness and understanding.

"The question is, why is she expecting this?" Kol asks, looking at his two brothers

"Either she has been betrayed by family before, or she is as paranoid as Klaus," Elijah replied, earning himself a small glare from Niklaus. However, no one denied that Klaus was paranoid.

With a sigh, they all left the room to occupy their time. They all understood that Thea needed time alone, they decided to give her a few hours before going after her.

Several hours came and went before Nik, Elijah, and Kol came out of their activities. They all realized that Thea wasn't back yet and that concerned them.

"She took off to the forest again, right?" Kol asked.

The other two nodded and all ran off in the same direction that Thea ran.

The three followed her scent, thanking whatever deity that it didn't rain, and they came to a stream. They followed her scent to a tree, where they found Thea, who had apparently fallen asleep at the base of the tree.

She looked calm and at peace, they honestly didn't want to wake her. 

"Looks like she picked up the habit of sleeping in weird places from our brother," Kol said.

"Whenever he was well enough to leave the house. He was always found sleeping under trees, in trees, though we found him in some cave most often, he was always in some shadow, though," Elijah reminisced.

"Yeah, Henrik was like that," Nik said a sad smile on his face.

They decided to sit near her for a bit, hoping she would wake up on her own and they wouldn't have to disturb her.

They watched her sleep, noticing how calm and at ease she looked in nature. How she wasn't tense or worried. She wasn't guarding herself, she was at peace.

They heard her laugh in her sleep, Nik smiled at this. Knowing that means she was having a good dream, and not a nightmare. 

They heard her mumble a name that made them freeze.

"Henrik," she mumbled in an annoyed tone, followed by a small sigh.

The three brothers share a confused and startled look.

"Is she dreaming about our brother?" Kol asks.

"It appears so. How does she even know about him?" Elijah asks.

Elijah's question is answered with silence. They all know it shouldn't be possible. 

"I'll ask her about it when we come out into the forest early in the morning. Then I can share the answer with you two. However, it needs to stay between the four of us," Niklaus tells them.