Surprises

"As soon as Loki took the doctor we moved Jane Foster. We've got an excellent observatory in Traunsee. She was asked to consult there very suddenly yesterday. Handsome fee, private plane, very remote. She'll be safe," Agent Coulson spoke quietly to Thor as I arrived. 

"Thank you. It's no accident Loki taking Erik Selvig. I dread what he plans for him once he's done. Erik is a good man," Thor replied as he looked on the screen that had a picture of Jane on, along with her file. 

"He talks about you a lot. You changed his life. You changed everything around here," Coulson replied as I stood next to him and looked down onto the screen. 

"They were better as they were. We pretend on Asgard that we're more advanced, but we...we come here battling like Bilchsteim," Thor chuckled

"Like what?" Coulson asked, I grinned and shook my head

"Bilchsteim? You know; huge, scaly, big Antlers," I answered, Thor, looked to me in surprise. 

"You know of them?" He asked and I nodded. 

"When I first came to earth, Loki's rage followed me here and your people paid the price. And now again. In my youth, I courted war," Thor sighed as he looked out the window. 

"War hasn't started yet," Fury said as he entered the room.

"You think you can make Loki tell us what the Tesseract is?" 

"I do not know. Loki's mind is far afield, it's not just power he craves, it's vengeance upon me. There's no pain that would prize his need from him," Thor replied. 

"A lot of guys think that, until the pain stops," Fury said crossing his arms.

"What are you asking me to do?" Thor asked

"I'm asking what are you prepared to do," Fury replied. 

"Loki is a prisoner," I said. 

"Then why do I feel like he's the only person on this boat that wants to be here?" Fury asked. I looked at Thor who didn't answer. 

"Brookes," 

"Yes sir," I said turning my attention the Fury. 

"You and Romanoff will go question him. See what you can get out of him," Natasha came and stood next to me.  

"Let's go," She said and I followed her out. 

I breathed out shakily as we approached where Loki was being held.

"You alright?" Nat asked and I nodded. 

"Yeah, I just hate to think what they've done to Clint," I replied watching the god through the glass chamber. 

"Me too, but we've got to do this. Besides, you know more about Norse mythology than anyone I know. Minus Thor and him of course," She nudged her chin in Loki's direction. 

"What has that got to do with anything?' I asked. 

"Your knowledge could be helpful, it could distract him," Natasha replied, I shook my head

"I doubt a mortal's intelligence could ever astound or distract the God of Mischief," Natasha gave me a look and we then quietly made our way over to his cage. He stopped walking back and forth 

"There's not many people that can sneak up on me," He turned around and smirked. 

"But you figured we'd come," Natasha commented. 

"Well, I knew you would, I didn't think they'd send two of you," He said watching me closely. 

"We're full of surprises," I glared at him and he raised an eyebrow. 

"After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate," Loki continued

"We want to know what you've done with Agent Barton," Natasha said calmly. 

"I'd say I've expanded his mind," Loki suggested. 

"And once you've won. Once you're king of the mountain, then what?" She asked. 

"Is this love, Agent Romanoff?" Loki chuckled darkly. 

"Love is for children, I owe him a debt," Natasha replied. Loki sat down 

"Tell me," He said. 

"Before I worked for SHIELD, I uh...well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skillset. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call," Natasha explained as she also pulled up a chair, leaving me standing, watching to God closely. 

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him," Loki asks

"Not let you out," Natasha shrugged. Loki let out a bitter laugh that sent shivers down my spine and a coldness swept through me,

"Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man?"

"Regimes fall every day. I tend not to weep over that, I'm Russian... or was," Natasha said, not letting Loki affect her. 

"What is it you want?" Loki asked coldly. 

"It's really not that complicated, I've got red on my ledger and I want to wipe it out," She replied simply. 

"Can you? Can you wipe out that much red? Drakov's daughter? São Paulo, the hospital fire? Barton told me everything. Your ledger is dripping, it's gushing red, and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything?" Loki replied standing angrily. 

"This is the basest sentimentality. This is a child at prayer... PATHETIC! You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors. But they are a part of you, and they will never go away!" He then slammed the glass door making Natasha flinch, I couldn't tear my eyes away as they widened 

"I won't touch Barton. Not until I make him kill you! Slowly. Intimately. In every way he knows you fear! And when he'll wake just long enough to see his good work, and when he screams, I'll split his skull! This is my bargain, you mewling quim!" Natasha spun around so she was no longer facing him. He made eye contact with me and I could only look at him in shock. 

"You're a monster," Natasha whimpers

"No, you brought the monster," Loki smirked. Natasha turned around, composed

"So, Banner that's your play?" Natasha asks. He looked at her confused. 

"What?" He asked, stepping away from the glass. 

"Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Banner in the lab, we're on our way. Send Thor as well," I spoke into my earpiece. 

"Thank you, for your cooperation," Natasha smirked as she turned away and quickly walked down the stairs. I turned back to the god to see him already looking at me 

"I told you, we're full of surprises," I then gave him a smirk and walked off, following after  Natasha.