[5] Lunch Buddies

At class the next day, you struck a conversation with Kyotani from beside you. "Kyotani-san, you didn't watch the volleyball matches? I didn't see you there."

Kyotani only shook his head, not uttering a single word.

Most people feared Kyotani. He was a strange kind of fellow; with dark eyes and a constant glare, he looked intimidating to most. But after forcing him into a few talks, you notice he was not all bad after all.

At first, your conversations were very one sided, with you doing most of the talking and him barely showing any response. After a while, you received several gestures: like a slight nod or a relieved sigh. Now, you managed to get words out of him, although he still does not speak unless absolutely necessary.

"I thought you liked volleyball," you said, cocking your head a little.

He simply replied, "But I still don't like the team."

You brushed him off, "Ah, right, you still have beef with the third years."

His silence was like a nodding yes.

"Ah, I made friends with one of them, though. He's really nice."

"With who?" he asked.

You smiled remembering the boy with dark spiky hair and olive green eyes. "Iwaizumi-san."

"Tch," Kyotani replied, as if angry.

You blinked, "Oh, why? You don't like him?"

Kyotani simply said, "He is okay, but I'm yet to win a challenge against him."

You laughed a little at his words, a little confused but accepting of it regardless. Just then, the bell rang, signaling lunchtime. As your classmates headed towards the cafeteria, you turned to Kyotani.

"Are you having lunch today? I could use someone to sit with."

"No," was the simple response he gave.

You sighed, "Eh, worth a shot. I'll see you around."

You picked up your things and walked out of your class, a little later than most people. By the time you strode past the hallways, it was almost empty, everyone already either heading back home or towards lunch before their club activities.

You noticed a familiar face wandering about on your floor. His olive green eyes met yours and he looked a tad bit jumpy.

"Iwaizumi-san!" you called him, walking towards the only other person you could talk to in school.

He acknowledged you, smiling a little as you came towards him.

"What are you doing at the second-year floor?" you asked curiously.

'Shit, have I been caught?' he thought. On normal circumstances, he would be among the first to race down towards the cafeteria. He hated waiting in line for food, being just slightly impatient. But today, something inside him just told him to find you.

But now, he was panicking again. "I-I uh, I-"

You cut him off, "Are you going to lunch? I asked my only other friend here and he refused, so I don't really have anyone to sit with."

"Oh, um, yes, I'm going."

"Oo, then can I sit with you please?" you begged, eyes glistening.

He tried his best to play cool, but your expression was just extremely adorable, he couldn't help but feel those butterflies again. "Yea, sure."

"Yay! Let's go!" you exclaimed, grabbing his wrist yet again without any warning before dragging him quickly to the cafeteria. He felt that electricity jolting through his body again, primarily where both your skin touched. It was a strange sensation, but he was learning to grow fond of it.