Chapter 14

A date

"So, you and James went missing for a bit there, what happened?" Mary and Marlene shared a look as Dorcas brought up the subject Hailey was desperately avoiding. Hailey looked at the girls. Realizing she wasn't getting out of this, she decided to give in.

"We kissed, we walked around and talked. It's not really a big deal, so we don't have to talk about it."

"That actually is kind of a big deal, so let's talk about it." Marlene refused to let the conversation end. Hailey sighed.

"What do you want to know?"

Immediately, she was bombarded with questions.

"Are you dating?"

"When did it start?"

"Who knew about it?"

"Are your parents okay with it?"

Hailey laughed. This was going to take a while.

"Alright. We're not dating. He won't actually talk about where this puts us, but I'm okay with where we are for now. It started at the party we hosted together. Sirius and I'm assuming Remus knew about it, but we weren't exactly telling people. And my parents know about it, and they're fine with it. My dad said he's seen it coming for a while, but I doubt that."

"What do you mean you're not dating? You guys have made out twice today."

"I don't know, we're just friends right now."

"You are most certainly not just friends right now. This needs to be fixed." Marlene stood up and put on a jumper over her tank top.

"What exactly are you doing?" Hailey looked fearfully at her.

"I'm going to have a chat with Sirius. I'll be back."

"Are you sure you need to-"

"Yes."

~~~~~~~

"So you're still not dating?" Remus looked exasperated.

"No. I don't know, it's complicated."

Sirius sighed dramatically.

"It's actually not. It's very simple. You go and talk to her, say something like 'Hi Hailey! You look nice. By the way, I'm in love with you and want to get married and have multiple children with you'. See? Simple."

"I'm not in love with-"

Remus scoffed.

"You so are. I saw the way you looked at her tonight. Not to mention the fact that you kept pulling as close to you as possible. You're a total sap for her."

Sirius laughed.

"You really are, mate. You're so whipped."

"Well, how do suggest I ask her out then?"

They sat for a second in deep thought. Remus looked up, grinning.

"How about tomorrow? It's a Saturday anyway, so it would be just like the last five years."

James smiled.

"That might work."

There was a knock on the door and Marlene walked in without waiting for a response.

"Potter, if you don't ask Hailey out within 24 hours, I'm going to murder you in cold blood."

Without another word, she walked out of the door, shutting it behind her. The boys turned to each other.