Chapter 46

Truth or Dare

Hailey sighed.

"Mum, James and I aren't back together."

Mrs. Lowel nodded.

"I know, dear."

"You do?" Hailey asked, surprised.

"Yes, your father and I happened to walk in when you and Lily were having a little chat about that. I'm not upset at you, of course. I think what you two agreed on was very mature." She hesitated.

"But?"

"But, I think you two are being a bit too mature about this. So you two had a fight and broke up. I think what you really need is just to talk it out and grow together. I know you agreed that you weren't ready for a real relationship, but what do you think the last year and a half has been? You're definitely ready for a real relationship, and I think you're both really good for each other, you just clash a bit."

Hailey nodded.

"I know, and the thing is, I want to get back together with him. I just don't know how he feels about it, especially after we just agreed not to."

Mrs. Lowel nodded.

"Well, I think you really just need to talk to him. At worst, you get turned down. But is that really so bad? It'll just give you more time to grow."

Hailey nodded.

"I guess. Thanks, Mum."

"And I feel like I should tell you, we're going over to the Potter's for Christmas."

"What?"

~~~~~~

"Sirius, truth or dare?" Hailey asked. Sirius laughed.

"What do you think?"

"Fair enough. I dare you to write to Remus and tell him you want to adopt four kids."

James laughed as Sirius considered it. Taking another swig of butterbeer, he nodded.

"Alright."

He quickly wrote the letter, Hailey looking over his shoulder to make sure he really did it, then sent it off.

"Alright, James, truth or dare?" Sirius said, smirking. James, recognizing Sirius's smirk, glanced at Hailey.

"Truth."

"Lame! Okay, fine. Do you want to get back together with Hailey?" He asked, his smirk growing wider as both Hailey and James blushed.

"Yeah."

Hailey blushed and looked down, suddenly finding her feet interesting.

"Hailey, truth or dare?" James asked.

"Truth." Hailey said, hoping he would ask the same question Sirius asked him.

"Do you want to get back together with me?" He asked. Hailey nodded, looking at him.

"Yeah."

"Alright, thank you. Now, I choose truth because that's apparently the theme of the night. Hailey, ask me a question." Sirius said, growing impatient. Hailey broke eye contact with James.

"Right. Erm, Sirius, why didn't you say you were bringing my mum upstairs with you?"

Sirius grinned.

"Well, I like drama. And you can't deny, it was quite dramatic."

Hailey rolled her eyes.

"I received The Talk because of that, Sirius. I didn't really appreciate the drama."

Sirius snorted.

"Like you need The Talk. Clearly you and James are experienced enough in that area."

Hailey and James blushed deeply. Hailey looked at James, wondering if he had told Sirius, but he looked just as confused as she felt.

"Don't act all surprised that I know. You guys were pretty obvious about it, getting all touchy and comfortable with each other after. And when I asked Marlene about it, she confirmed it for me." Sirius said, clearly proud of his detective work. "But I must say, you two took your time."

"All of my friends have done it, it's not really a big deal."

Sirius narrowed his eyes.

"All of your friends except Lily, you mean."

Hailey's eyes widened. She had forgotten that Regulus and Sirius were brothers for a second.

"Right. Except for Lily, of course."

"Obviously, Lily and Regulus wouldn't do anything. Especially not because he doesn't turn seventeen until next week." Sirius said, gauging Hailey's reaction. James watched the interaction interestedly.

"Obviously." Hailey said. "Lily's not stupid, and neither is Regulus. And, I mean, how would that even work, really. Regulus was at your parent's house all summer." Sirius raised his eyebrows.

"Who said anything about summer, Hailey?"

Hailey blushed and broke eye contact.

"Did I?"

Sirius stood up.

"My little brother lost his virginity? And you knew before I did?"

Hailey stood up as well.

"Well it's not like he told me. Besides, did you tell him when you lost yours?" She asked.

"Of course not!"

"Well there you have it! Maybe he doesn't owe you an explanation."

Sirius seemed to have calmed down a bit.

"He still could have mentioned it. I feel like that's something that brothers talk about."

"Well, maybe he doesn't feel comfortable talking to you about it." Hailey said. Sirius looked down. Jame cleared his throat.

"Does anybody want to play Uno?"

Hailey and Sirius looked at him. He shrugged.

"Fine, let's play Uno." Sirius said, throwing Hailey a dirty look. She returned it. It wasn't her fault he and Regulus weren't as close as she and Lily were. Besides, she had successfully drawn the conversation away from her and James, which had really been the goal all along.

~~~~~~

"Draw four." Hailey said happily, looking at Sirius. He scowled and picked up the cards. James looked uneasily between the two.

"Look, Sirius. It wasn't Hailey's fault that Lily told her about it. They were probably talking about Hailey and I, and the conversation drifted to Lily and Regulus."

"Well of course you're going to defend Hailey, even after you break up you're still obsessed with each other." Sirius said. Hailey and James blushed. "And I'm not really mad that Hailey knew before I did, or even that they had sex, I'm mainly just upset that Regulus and I have barely talked this year, and he didn't feel like he could tell me. I'm his older brother! He should be able to talk to me about embarrassing stuff like that. So I'm sorry, Hailey. I didn't mean to take it out on you."

Hailey nodded.

"Apology accepted. Also," She said, putting her card down. "The new color is red, and Uno."

Sirius and James groaned.

"I swear you always win at this game. It's pretty much just a game of luck, but you make it seem like it's strategy." Sirius complained. Hailey shrugged.

"I guess I'm just lucky."

"Or you cheat!" Sirius yelled, tackling Hailey and checking her sleeves for cards. Hailey laughed and pushed him off.

"Whatever, you're just a sore loser."