Chapter 47

New Years

"Mum, can I throw a New Years party?" Haiely asked, poking her head around the door. Mrs. Lowel nodded.

"As long as you tell me who's coming."

Hailey nodded.

"Thanks!"

Immediately, she went upstairs and wrote to James. She and James hadn't actually discussed the game of truth or dare where they had both admitted to wanting to get back together, but they were in a good spot. They basically acted like they did when they were a couple with more blushing and less kissing. No kissing, that is. Since they had gotten trapped under the mistletoe, Hailey had been so nervous to end up kissing James again that she stopped in front of every doorway and let him pass first, just in case. It wasn't that she didn't want to kiss James, it was mainly that she didn't want to let that get in the way of the agreement they had made. So far, they had stuck pretty well to their agreement, though at times, there was nothing Hailey wanted to do more than slam James against a wall and snog him senseless.

Things were going alright for Hailey, and she didn't want to mess that up. That was the reason she was nervous to throw the New Years party. Everyone knew that you kissed someone on New Years, and Hailey was worried that she and James would end up kissing, and she wouldn't be able to stick to their agreement. She just really missed James, and regretted their fight everyday. When her mind wandered, she always thought back to that night and she replayed it in her mind, noting things she could have done differently.

Not that it mattered much. She and James had fought, and frankly, Hailey was glad they had discovered the problem in their relationship before they had really done anything serious. Sure, they had talked about getting married, and had sex, and planned a future together, but at least they hadn't gotten married or anything, right?

~~~~~~

"So, you wanted to kiss James so badly you threw an entire party?" Hailey heard Remus say. She turned to face him, rolling her eyes.

"No, I just wanted to throw a party. This has nothing to do with James and I."

Remus nodded.

"Sirius has been keeping me updated, you know. I heard all about the mistletoe thing, and about the sex thing." He said casually, watching her go red.

"Like you and Sirius have never done anything." She argued.

"We aren't talking about Sirius and I, and it's not like Sirius and I kept it a secret from our friends for months and then broke up for a month."

Hailey rolled her eyes.

"You know what, I really doubt there are a lot of people that have done that. Are you maybe talking about someone specific?"

Remus chuckled.

"You two obviously just want to get back together. Just do it. I know he won't turn you down. He's told Sirius and I how pretty you look tonight at least five times. He's honestly worse than he was before you guys were together."

Hailey blushed.

"Shut up."

"Or you could put your pride aside for a second and date the poor bloke. He really misses you, Hailey. And you clearly miss him. You've been checking him out all night."

Hailey shoved him. Remus smirked.

"You're just upset because I'm right."

James walked up to them with Sirius close behind.

"What are you guys talking about?"

"Hailey's problems." Remus answered. Sirius nodded.

"Like the fact that she won't suck it up and kiss you."

James blushed slightly.

"It's a nice party, Hailey. You did a good job."

Hailey thanked him. Sirius winked at her.

"You look nice tonight Hailey. James was just telling me all about how cute you were."

"But don't worry, James. Hailey's been checking you out all night." Remus added. Hailey and James blushed. Sirius pointed to the clock in the corner of the room.

"Look at that! It's almost midnight! Remus, will you be my midnight kiss?" He asked Remus. Remus nodded.

"Yes, I will. You two should find a person to kiss before midnight."

Hailey rolled her eyes.

"Thank you for reminding me."

"No problem!"

The crowd started counting down. Hailey glanced at James and they made eye contact. She quickly looked away. He did look nice tonight. Really nice.

"Five!"

She wanted to kiss him.

"Four!"

But that might ruin everything.

"Three!"

She didn't have to kiss anyone.

"Two!"

But she wanted to.

"One!"

Hailey turned to James and grabbed him by the collar, smashing his lips against hers. For a second, James just stood there, filled with surprise, and Hailey wondered if she had done the right thing. Just as she was about to pull away, his arms wrapped around her waist, bringing her into him. Her arms wound around his neck, pulling him down slightly. He tightened his grip around her waist, holding her tightly. When she pulled away, he smiled at her.

"Hailey, I didn't mean it. I do want to date you, and I don't care if we fight sometimes. I love you, and I just want you back."

Hailey knew they would fight again, and she knew that they would clash. But she didn't care. All she wanted was James back.

"I think I can make that work." She said, smiling. James leaned in and kissed her again. Hailey pulled him as tightly to her as she could. She never wanted to let him go again.