Chapter 60

Interrogation

"You don't remember anything?" Hailey asked, her heart sinking. Lily winced.

"Well, it's a bit blurry. I remember a few things, but I don't remember who did it. They cast this spell I've never heard before, and then there were cuts all over me, and they kind of panicked, and then I blacked out. I'm sorry, but I can't remember anything else."

"It's okay. We think they cast a memory charm on you. There was definitely some emotion attached to the attack, so the curse and the memory charm were done poorly. What happened before the attack?"

Lily shrugged.

"My doorbell rang, I looked out the peephole, and I wasn't happy about who it was. I was pretty livid, actually. I opened the door and started yelling at them, something about Regulus, and how it was their fault. They hit me with the curse, and the rest I've told you."

Hailey looked at James, who nodded. It sounded like Snape. He had been loosely related to Regulus's mission, so it made sense that in the moment, Lily wouldn't be pleased to see him.

"Lily, the healers are going to try and remove the memory charm. You've done great, and you've helped a lot. Feel better." Hailey said, giving her a gentle hug and going to leave.

"Hailey?"

Hailey turned back.

"Yes?"

"If I don't make it,"

"Don't talk like that, Lily."

"No, let me finish. I need to say this. If I don't make it, please don't be too sad. Go on with your life, get married. You two better get engaged soon, by the way." She said, looking at Hailey and James. Hailey glanced at James quickly before smiling sheepishly at Lily.

"Well, that might have already happened."

"What?" Lily shrieked. "And you let some stupid injury of mine overshadow it? Hailey, you were always too selfless. I have to throw you a party. Forget what I said before, I'm going to be fine. Just go find the cure for this, and get me out of here."

"Actually, we have a suspect, and we think that if somebody uses polyjuice potion to turn into you, we can get him to give us the cure."

"It's Snape, isn't it?" Lily asked sadly. Hailey nodded. "Don't risk the polyjuice potion. Even at his worst, he knows potions. Hailey, show him the state I'm in. If he did it, he's feeling guilty. If we use it against him, he might break. And if he didn't do it, he might just be willing to help find a cure."

"That's honestly a great plan."

Lily smiled bitterly.

"I know Severus. And don't let James or Sirius do it. You or Shacklebolt do it, Hailey. It has to be somebody he doesn't hate."

James opened his mouth to argue, but quickly shut it.

"I guess that's a fair point."

"Lily, you're a genius. I promise, we're going to help you out of this." Hailey said. She kissed Lily's cheek and grabbed James's hand.

"We'll be back in a few hours, I promise. And make them call Marlene, I know she wants to visit, and you need someone to talk to."

Lily nodded and Hailey and James left the room, flooing to the Auror department.

"Kingsley! We talked to Lily. There was a memory charm used on her, but she thinks we can get Snape to break, or to help us."

Shacklebolt nodded.

"I'm listening."

"James, let me do it! We were friends, he has good memories with me. It'll work better."

"Hailey, we don't know if it will, and he could hurt you!"

"While he's locked in the room without a wand? I sincerely doubt it. I'm doing it with or without your approval. Shacklebolt already said it was the best plan we have. I just want your support."

James sighed.

"Please be careful."

"I promise."

~~~~~~~

Hailey opened the door and walked into the interrogation room. Snape was sitting at the table, his arms crossed.

"Now they're letting unlicensed people in? This look into the criminal justice system is shocking." He commented dryly.

"Severus, they thought you would be more comfortable if you weren't interrogated by someone that bullied you in school. I'm going to be honest with you, you're in hot water. The evidence is stacked against you, but we can prove you're innocent easily. We don't want you to suffer, we just want to help Lily."

"What does Lily have to do with anything?" Snape snapped.

"She was hit with a curse, it caused cuts all over her body, and we don't know how to heal them. Nothing's helping her. Even she thinks she's going to pass away. I'm not trying to convict you, we just know you can make spells. Do you know anything that might have caused that kind of injury?"

Snape shrugged.

"It's hard to say. There are a lot of things that could cause cuts like that."

"But all of the known ones have cures that didn't work for Lily. This is a special curse that we're unfamiliar with. Please, Severus. I know you can help us, you've always been good at this. Neither of us wants Lily to die, and working together can save her."

Snape was silent. Hailey sighed and went to stand up.

"Try Vulnera Sanentur."

Hailey turned back to him.

"What?"

"Vulnera Sanentur. It's a healing spell I made up. I can't assure you it will work, but like you said, neither of us want Lily to die. It's worth a shot, right?"

Hailey nodded.

"Actually, can you write it down for me? And the wand movement? If this is going to work, I want it to be right."

Snape rolled his eyes.

"I'm not giving you a handwriting sample. I don't want that in the ministry database."

"Fine, I'll write it. Just tell me how to spell it." Hailey said, sitting back down. Snape once again rolled his eyes, but complied, spelling out the charm. Hailey smiled to herself. They were going to help Lily.