Chapter 30

Spring

"I can't believe the school year's almost over. It seems like we just got back from Christmas break." James commented as the group lounged on the grounds. It was a sunny day, and all the students had taken advantage of the weather immediately after classes had gotten out. The Marauders were sitting under a tree, with Remus and Sirius cuddling, and James with his head in Hailey's lap. The bet had ended when Sirius had gotten sick of not being able to display his relationship to ward off girls that thought he had broken up with Remus, so he had kissed Remus during breakfast a few days previously. Shortly after, James and Hailey had a snogging session behind one of the suits of armor in the hall. Frankly, Hailey was extremely glad the bet was over, because sneaking off to the Room of Requirement every time she and James wanted to be affectionate had gotten on her nerves.

"I'm just glad we don't have OWL's this year. They were a nightmare last year. We just have regular exams." Sirius shuddered at the thought of OWL's. Hailey nodded.

"They were the worst. I'm just glad I passed so I didn't have to re-take anything."

"Of course you passed Hails. You're the smartest girl I know." James rolled his eyes. Hailey blushed.

"You're only saying that because you didn't take notes during Charms and there's an essay due. You know there are quite a few girls in our year that get better grades."

James shrugged.

"You gotta do what you gotta do. And anyways, you're the most attractive girl I know, so that counts for something, doesn't it?"

Hailey kissed him.

"I suppose. You're still just trying to get my notes though."

James smiled down at her.

"Can I use them? I'm so close to getting on Flitwick's good side again. One good essay'll do the trick."

Hailey rolled her eyes and nodded.

"You do need to pass the class, I guess."

"And it'll all be because of you. Aren't you pleased?"

Hailey laughed.

"Life could be worse."

"That's the attitude."

~~~~~~~

Hailey sighed and fell onto her bed. Exams were almost over, and then she didn't have to stress. But for now, she had to study until her next exam. Sleep could wait until later, for now she needed to pass all of her exams.

"Are you going to sleep?" Marlene stood over Hailey's bed, looking at her disapprovingly.

"No, I'm stressing about exams. At least Transfiguration is done."

"I wasn't worried about Transfiguration, I'm mainly worried about History of Magic. The way Binns teaches it is so boring I don't know if I know enough about it."

Hailey nodded.

"We can study it tonight, if you'd like. I've been struggling with the Goblin Rebellions."

Marlene nodded thankfully.

"You're a lifesaver, Hailey."

"I know. You couldn't survive without me."

"You and James wouldn't even be together without me. You'd just be snogging and refusing to talk about where it puts you."

Hailey sighed dramatically.

"I guess we need each other."

"I guess so."

"Alright, I do need to pass that exam, so let's get studying."

Hailey sat up and pulled out her books.

"Alright. What first?"

~~~~~~

Hailey ran out of the castle onto the grounds, enjoying the sun.

"I'm free! No more exams, I can do whatever I want."

"We still have classes, Hailey."

"But they aren't hard. And I don't have to take another exam until next year. So really, I'm free."

The boys laughed as Hailey ran around on the grass, her arms in the air.

"So, what should we do for our end-of-the-year party? We need something big, this is our second to last one."

"Don't remind me. I think it should be a themed party, like animals or something."

"Or you could dress up like someone else. It would be funny to guess who people were dressing up as."

James nodded.

"Hailey! Come here! We're talking about party themes."

Hailey, who was laying on the ground, looked up.

"Can you guys come here?"

Sirius, James, and Remus sighed and walked over to where Hailey was on the ground. James lied down next to her.

"What are your thoughts on a party where everyone dresses up as someone else? For our end-of-the-year party."

Hailey thought about it. Finally, she nodded.

"I like it. And then we can have a game where you try to guess who everyone's dressing up as."

Remus nodded.

"That's what I was saying!"

"And, we can dress up as each other, which'll be funny."

"Who wants to be Hailey?"

Everyone turned to look at James. His eyes widened.

"Why would I be Hailey? Why not Sirius? They wear like all of the same clothes."

Sirius shook his head.

"I'm being Remus. His jumpers are more comfy than anything Hailey wears."

Hailey nodded.

"That's fair. And I'll be James, because I already have most of his clothes anyway."

"I'm being Sirius. Because I want to, which leaves you with Hailey."

James shrugged.

"Could be worse, I guess. But I'm not wearing heels."

"I'll get you ready, and you can tell me whether or not something is too uncomfortable." Hailey promised.

"Okay. Now we have to plan the rest of the party. What kind of food should we have?"

"Food that looks like one thing, but tastes like something else." Sirius offered.

Everyone nodded.

"How do we do that? I don't think the house elves know that trick. We'll have to find some charm."

"We could ask Flitwick."

"He still doesn't like me that much. That's next year's resolution. Get Flitwick to appreciate me again."

Hailey laughed.

"Not to get good grades or graduate school?"

"I know you'll help me with that." James poked her side.

"And what if I don't?"

Remus scoffed.

"Hailey, you know we'll be lending them notes within the first week. Even if you say you won't, James will wiggle them out of you somehow."

"That's fair."

James kissed Hailey's cheek.

"It's because you're the best girlfriend ever."

Hailey rolled her eyes

"Thank you."