Chapter 64

Baby Boys

Hailey leaned over the toilet as she retched again. Being pregnant had it's perks, but none of them made up for the morning sickness. James rushed in and grabbed her hair, patting her back and rubbing circles with his thumb. When Hailey finished, he handed her a toothbrush and toothpaste.

"So, it hasn't gotten any better, then?" He asked. Hailey glared at him through the mirror.

"What does it look like?" She asked. James held his hands up in surrender.

"Alright, but it's got to let off soon. The healers said it should only last for a few more weeks at most."

"I know, but the healers can be wrong. Every pregnancy is different, and this is my first pregnancy. We still don't know how my body's going to deal with this. I may not be like the average pregnant witch."

James shrugged.

"You're a lot better than the average pregnant witch to me." He said sweetly. Hailey rolled her eyes.

"You're just trying to get on my good side so I don't get mad at you later."

"Is it working?" He asked. Hailey smiled.

"A little bit."

James kissed her softly and ran his hand through her hair.

"Good."

~~~~~

"Everything's going well, the baby's doing fine. They're growing steadily and healthily. Do you have any questions?"

"When can we find out what gender the baby is? I know it's coming up, but I wasn't given an exact date. Also, when is the morning sickness going to fade? I'm over it."

The healer laughed.

"We can tell what gender the baby is today if you'd like. And if the morning sickness persists for another week, you can call in and we'll give you a potion to stop it."

"We can figure out today?" James asked. The healer nodded.

"Would you like to?"

Hailey and James nodded.

"Alright, I just have to cast this charm. It shouldn't hurt, so if you feel any pain, let me know."

Hailey nodded, and James gripped her hand tightly. The healer waved her wand and muttered a spell, and a faint black and white photo appeared over them. The healer looked at the photo closely, before waving her wand again, making the photo disappear.

"It's a boy!"

Hailey smiled. A baby boy.

"Thank you." She said. The healer smiled and nodded.

"Of course!"

~~~~~~~

Hailey woke up in the dark. The spot next to her was empty, and she heard the sink running downstairs. She got out of bed and followed the sound, leading her to James in the kitchen with a glass of water.

"Are you alright?" She asked.

"I'm fine." He said shortly. Hailey furrowed her eyebrows at his tone.

"No, you're not. What's wrong?"

James sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"It's just, I've done some stupid stuff. Like really stupid stuff. I've made some bad mistakes that could have ended my life. I'm lucky to be alive."

Hailey nodded slowly.

"Right. And why is this keeping you up at night now?"

"Because of the baby." James admitted. Hailey cocked her head to the side.

"Sorry, I still don't follow."

"What if he's like me? Hailey, I'm an illegal animagus."

"So am I, really, it's pointless to be upset about this, because we're both incredibly impulsive and stupid. If he ends up like either of us, he's going to make some stupid choices, but if he's anything like you, he'll be incredible. I couldn't have gotten a better husband, and our son is going to be the same."

James smiled slightly and kissed Hailey.

"Thanks, Hails."

"Anytime. Now, are you going to mope in this kitchen, or do you want to sleep?"

"Definitely sleep."

~~~~~~

"What about Lewis?"

"No."

"Gerald?"

"Do you hate him?"

James sighed.

"If you're not going to give your own suggestions, don't knock mine."

"Well, if you're going to give suggestions like Gerald, I'm going to say no."

"Fine, what are you thinking?"

"I don't know, maybe Samuel or George?"

"George is cute." James said.

"I was also thinking James for a middle name." Hailey suggested. James looked up from his book.

"What?"

"James is a cute middle name, isn't it?"

James grinned widely.

"Yeah, it is."

"But George James is a little weird."

James nodded.

"Definitely. What about Fred? Fred James is kind of nice."

"Maybe. Or William. I like William James."

"Yeah, I like WIlliam too. Or Harry."

"Harry's nice. I also like Velorum, like the star, Lambda Velorum."

"Yeah, but do we want to want to go the way of the Black family? We aren't quite that pretentious."

"That's true. Sirius can keep the star names."

"He'll love that."

"How about Proof that Hailey Lowel actually likes James Potter? Obviously Potter would just be the last name, and we get James as the middle name too. It's a win-win in my eyes."

"Alright, I'm done with names for today."