Chapter 57

Telling the Parents

Hailey admired the ring on her finger. She was officially engaged. When they had gotten home the night before, she had asked him what everybody was hiding from her, and he had popped the question.

"James, what's going on? Everybody was acting weird tonight, especially you."

James shrugged, running a hand through his hair. Hailey groaned.

"Please just tell me."

James opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out. Hailey turned around to go to their bedroom. She wasn't going to deal with this.

"Hailey?"

Hailey turned around. James was on one knee, holding a small box. Her hands flew to her mouth.

"Hailey, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You've helped me through so much, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. When we broke up last year, I fell apart. I realized I couldn't live without you right beside me, and I never want to lose you again. Will you marry me?"

Hailey felt tears running down her face. She couldn't speak, so she just nodded. James smiled widely and stood up, slipping the ring on her finger. She grabbed his face and kissed him, treasuring every moment in his grasp. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling them as close as possible. James smiled into the kiss and wound his arms around her figure, squeezing her lightly. When they pulled away, James chuckled.

"Aren't you glad nobody told you what was happening?"

Hailey rolled her eyes and kissed him again.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Hailey replayed the scene in her head, a fond smile coming to her face. She had always dreamed of getting married, and now that it was coming true, she felt elated. She felt James sit down behind her and wrap his arms around her, resting his head on her shoulder.

"You're still looking at it?" He asked. Hailey could feel the amusement in his voice.

"I like it. It's nice to look at." She defended.

"So are you." James said, kissing her neck. Hailey laughed and pushed him away slightly.

"No flattery. I already agreed to marry you." She said. James smiled.

"And I'm so glad you did." He said, turning her head to kiss her. Hailey turned so she was facing James and straddled his waist, one hand grasping his bicep and the other finding his neck. There was a knock on the door, and James and Hailey sprung apart. Hailey got up to answer the door and peered through the peephole. She looked back at James, confused.

"It's my mum."

James shrugged and Hailey opened the door. Mrs. Lowel smiled and hugged her daughter.

"It's so great to see you! I just stopped by St. Mungo's yesterday for my check-up, and one of the nurses told me she knew you, and it just made me think that I should visit you."

Hailey smiled.

"I'm so glad you're here! I've missed you. Would you like a cup of tea or something?" She asked. Mrs. Lowel shook her head.

"I won't be here long, I just wanted to catch up quickly. So, what's new with you? It's been a little while since we've really talked." Mrs. Lowel said. Hailey shrugged, then remembered something incredibly important.

"Actually, there's something I need to tell you." She said cautiously. Mrs. Lowel nodded, urging her on.

"James and I are engaged."

Mrs. Lowel blinked, then looked at Hailey's hand. When she saw the ring, she stood up and hugged Hailey tightly.

"Oh, I'm so happy for you! When did he ask you?"

"Just last night. You're the first one to know."

"My little girl is all grown up! You're getting married! And eventually, you and James will have little kids and I'll get to babysit them!"

Hailey smiled at her mother's excitement.

"You two are a little young, though, and it isn't exactly the best time. Are you sure you don't want to wait a few years?" Mrs. Lowel asked.

"Well, no one knows what's going to happen. I figure there's no better time than the present. It just feels right."

Mrs. Lowel smiled.

"If you think it's fine, then I trust your judgement. I still can't believe it! This is so exciting! I want to help you plan the wedding."

Hailey laughed.

"You can, Mum. And once I tell Marlene, Mary, and Lily, we can go wedding dress shopping."

"This is so lovely! I should get going, but let me know when you're planning on making any more big decisions. And don't be afraid to ask for help. Wedding planning is stressful."

Hailey nodded and hugged her mother again.

"Thank you for stopping by. I'm glad I got to tell you first."

"I'm glad too. I'll see you two later, alright?"

Hailey nodded and waved goodbye. Mrs. Lowel waved one last time and was gone with a crack. Hailey turned back to James.

"That's one person down." She said. James chuckled.

"Marlene's going to be upset that she wasn't the first to know."

"I'm actually going to hold off on telling them. If they don't already know, that is. I told them I couldn't make it today, so I'm sure they're suspicious, and they knew it might happen today, so we'll see if they figure it out." She said, shrugging. James nodded.

"Well, I have a couple ideas to spend the extra time we have today." He said, pulling her close. Hailey rested her hands on his chest and grinned.

"Oh yeah? What are you thinking."

"Well first, we can eat some food, and then we can go back to bed and cuddle for hours, maybe watch a movie."

"That sounds nice." Hailey said, kissing him softly. James smiled into the kiss, pulling her flush against his body. When they pulled away, he kissed her nose and smiled.

"I'll make pancakes."