ʚɞ˚chapter 1˚ʚɞ

FINN'S POV

I entered my apartment whilst groaning. Things just couldn't get worse. I could only work as a cashier at the bookstore for another week before I would need a new job. Apparently, according to my manager, there weren't enough sales so the owner decided to sell and open a bookstore somewhere else. Talk about luck.

Inside the apartment, I dropped my backpack to the floor and went to the kitchen to get a Clif bar. The kitchen was to the left of the door, small but just right for what my roommate and I were paying. Texas wasn't expensive compared to other states, but as a student attending the local community college, money didn't exactly grow on trees for me. Especially not when it was hard finding a good-paying job that worked well with my class schedule and didn't require anything other than a high school diploma or less.

I began eating my Clif bar as I made my way to my room, which was to the right of the door. There were two doors - one that led to my room and one that led to Charlie's room. Charlie is my roommate. On the wall opposite of this wall were two other doors, one to the bathroom and one to a storage room. And in front of, or technically behind, the kitchen was the living room. Small but cozy, just how I liked it.

I was just about to walk into my room when I heard a bang come from Charlie's room. Curious, I went over to his door and knocked twice before opening it. There he was, in all his glory, packing some boxes.

Wait...packing boxes?

"What're you doing?" I asked, furrowing my brows together. As far as I was concerned, we weren't moving. Surely Charlie would've told me beforehand if he planned on moving, right?

"Oh! Finn! Uh -" he tried smiling but it came as a grimace. "Heeyyy," he dragged out. "What're you doing home so early?"

"My last class was canceled," I explained. "Are you packing your stuff?"

There was that look again - the pitiful look that was covered in guilt. As if he had no choice but to disappoint me once again.

Charlie wasn't a completely bad person. Other than the fact that he was like my high school bullies - a blond jock who had his head up his ass - and majorly homophobic when we first met, he was okay. He wasn't homophobic anymore and he was also the one who helped me get the job at the bookstore. I owed him for that.

"Uh, yeah. Look, Finn, I swear I was going to tell you about this but I just didn't know how..." he trailed off.

"What are you talking about?" I tried to laugh, though it came out as forced as my straightness.

He inhaled. "I'm...moving. To another apartment with someone else. I know I should've told you sooner, but I just never got the time to and - I don't know, man."

I blinked.

"You're moving?" I asked for clarification.

He nodded.

"Why?" I asked, bewildered. It wasn't any of my business but living with Charlie just felt...normal. We were able to both pay our half of the rent, we didn't argue much (minus when he was homophobic), and - I don't know, it just felt normal. We had each other's backs, even though my weak-ass couldn't do anything to help him out. And to find out that he planned on moving without giving me a heads up? It was a dick move. A very dick move, especially since our lease was almost up and I won't have a job for much longer.

He gulped, avoiding my eyes. "I just can't live here anymore. I can't afford to live here, it's been too stressful for me. At my new apartment, I'll be living with more than one person so I'll only have to pay a little bit of money...I hope you don't mind."