Chapter 13 - Meeting the Family

It was a Monday afternoon and it was the fourth of July. We closed the restaurant early and I made my way home to get ready because today my family is having a little cookout over my uncle's house. It's a very special day for me because I'm bringing Michael to meet my family for the first time. The only person he's met is Mia. My uncle is very overprotective of me because he has been like a father to me since my dad died, which was his little brother. So he wants to meet the man who causes me to smile from ear to ear every day. I put on my white shorts, black halter top, and silver sandals. I left my hair in a cute bun and left my makeup simple. It's too hot outside and I didn't want it to smear. I was very excited but nervous at the same time. I really want my family to love him and accept him, which I'm sure they will. I just hope they don't embarrass me. Once I was done getting ready, I walked over to Michael's house to see if he was ready yet, since he was driving. I knocked on the door and after a few seconds he opened it. " Hey beautiful " I smiled.

" Hey.. You ready? "

" Yeah, just need to grab my keys " Before he could go back in the house, he paused and slowly looked me up and down. I couldn't help but to blush.

" Damn, you look amazing " I bit my lip.

" So do you Michael " He smiled.

" You're just saying that " I giggled.

" No I'm serious " He sighed.

" I hope I can make a good impression " I walked closer to him and grabbed his hands.

" You will Michael.. I just know they will love you"

He seemed to look a little nervous. " I hope so" He then pulled me close to his body and leaned down to kiss my lips. It never fails, his kisses always make me so weak. He slowly pulled away and we just stared at each other silently. I wanted to ask him if we were officially a couple, but I was too shy to do so.

" Umm.. Well we should get going? " I said, breaking the silence between us. Michael took in a deep breath and released.

" Ok.. Let's go " I smiled. I can tell he was shy. He grabbed his keys then we got in his car and drove off to my uncle's house.

The ride there was a quiet one. Every now and then he would sneak looks at me, or pull me in for a kiss at a red light. He held on to my hand the whole time. We act just like a couple but I'm not sure if we are cause the word boyfriend or girlfriend never has come up and it's really bothering me, not knowing where we really stand. I mean it is clear that we are feeling each other cause we opened up about our feelings, but that is as far as we have gone. He finally pulled up in front of my uncle's house but I was still in deep thought. He parked the car and turned it off. " Well.. We're here " I looked up at him and smiled.

"Are you ok? You seem like you got something on your mind " I looked down.

" Michael, can I ask you something? "

" Sure, you can ask me anything " I let out a nervous laugh, still looking down as I played with my fingers. I could not believe I was about to be bold enough to ask.

" I.. I was just wondering.. Before we go to meet my family.. How should I address you as?.. My friend?.. Or.. " I began to hesitate a bit. He then let out a soft giggle.

"Tiff, you are my girl " I slowly looked up at him and smiled.

" So.. I can tell them you are my boyfriend? " He slowly caressed my face.

"Hehe, you are so cute " I giggled and looked down. " But yeah, please do that. I am honored to be your boyfriend" I felt this strange happiness take over my whole body. I smiled from ear to ear as we both looked each other deep in the eyes. I have a boyfriend. I can't believe after all this time, I finally have a boyfriend. I literally felt like a teenager again. Michael is my first real boyfriend and there is no greater feeling than that. " You ok? " I bit my lip.