Chapter 34

Aunt Freya was holding me hand as we walked downstairs,
A man said" Ah, Freya. Would you mind telling your security team that am I a dear and beloved friend of the family?"
Aunt Freya said" Oh, that might be overstating it. For now, let's go with necessary acquaintance." I looked at Aunt Freya as we continued walking, that must be Lucien.
" Mm, flattery will get you everywhere."
" What do you want, Lucien?"
" The question isn't what I want. It's whom. See, I've known the Mikaelsons for 1,000 years. But you, Freya, are a new variable and I can't help but find myself intrigued." Freya stopped, I let go of her hand and sped upstairs.
Uncle Lijah said" Are you quite sure?"
Uncle Kol said" I saw him with my own eyes. Finn must have come back when Davina resurrected me. The spell was tied to the blood of the Mikaelson line. Either it worked on him or he found a way to hijack it. Either way, the only how I care about right now is how long I'm going to make him suffer before I kill him."
" Restraint, brother. For now."
" Why? Finn is clearly the one spreading rumors about missing white oak. He's luring Nik's enemies out of the woodwork. It's all part of his tedious revenge fantasy."
Aunt Freya said" You're wrong. Those rumors began before either of you returned. Finn's innocent."
" Innocent? Pardon me, love, but Finn has tried to kill the rest of us more than once. He is an enemy of our family."
" He is our family. Finn's return is an opportunity to mend old wounds and fix what's broken."
" He didnt just drop a bloody vase. He murdered me. He murdered this one's mother." They looked at me,
Uncle Lijah said" You seem certain."
" Are you honestly siding with her?" Uncle Lijah held up his hand, I walked to Uncle Kol and held his hand, laying my head on his arm.
" Time and again, Finn has demonstrated nothing but contempt towards this family. So you tell me, how can you be so certain that he would return to us in peace?"
Then a man said" Our sister knows me well." Finn, I jumped, hiding behind Uncle Kol," Though, perhaps, you're right to doubt my intentions. By all means, let's discuss our family quarrels. I believe we're long overdue." I held onto Uncle Kol's shirt, his hand laid on my head, rubbing my hair.

Uncle Kol was mad, Uncle Lijah was on the phone,
Uncle Kol said" Take a swing, huh? All these sidesteps and parries, even the way you fight is boring." Aunt Freya was holding Uncle Kol back,
Finn said" You know, it's an odd critique, considering all your flair and flourish couldn't keep you from being bested the last time we faced each other." Uncle Kol pushed Aunt Freya out of the way, Lucien pinned Uncle Kol to the wall.
He said" Perhaps we should let them fight. After all, they can't actually kill each other."
Uncle Lijah said" Behave yourselves. Particularly considering we will be confined here together for the foreseeable future." Uncle Kol pushed Lucien off him,
He said" What does that mean?"
" I believe the term is staycation. You see, Niklaus isn't the only one who's inspired revenge fantasies. Right now, we are all at risk. So... while Marcel works to retrieve the white oak, I recommend we dispense with all of this posturing. Get down to some good, old-fashioned family bonding."

Uncle Kol held me in his arms as he spied of Finn and Uncle Lijah,
Uncle Lijah said" So, tell me. How was hell? Is it warm this time of year?"
Finn said" You always had a penchant for idle chat."
" Well, perhaps we could discuss something a little bit more constructive."
" Do you intend to threaten me into being a better brother?"
" Depends. Why are you here?"
" Could you believe me if I told you I had changed?"
" Have you?"
" Yes. And no. All that time trapped alone in Freya's pendant, I was able to reflect on what we have become over a millennium. I'm still sickened by what you are. But I'm done trying to atone for past sins."
" It is curious, the way you speak as though you and I are not the same."
" We are not the same. You see, I still have a chance at some small happiness. And I'm gonna take it. My proposal is simple. Allow Freya to put me back in a witch's body. Let the two of us go and I promise never to look back again." Uncle Kol walked away, I looked at me, he ruffled my hair and sped up to my room, putting me down.
——
Uncle Lijah said" Whatever it is you're planning, don't." I held his hand as we stood behind Uncle Kol,
Uncle Kol said" He cursed me to die, Elijah. Slowly. In front of her. And he killed Kova, Peter's mother. If nothing else, I owe him for that."
" Perhaps. And perhaps, the best revenge is simply expel him from our lives altogether."
" No. He doesn't get to live happily ever after-"
" I haven't made my final decision. I only ask you stay your hand."
" That's not your decision to make." Uncle Kol went vampire face, and broke the glass he was holding.
" Control yourself." Uncle Kol destroyed a table," Unless you can't."
" It's worse than I remember. The rage, the hunger. I'd like to blame my anger on Finn... but it's been growing worse since I came back. I never did learn how to keep it in check. I never really cared to."
" But now you do."
" I couldn't live with myself if I hurt Davina. But hurting the ones we love, whether we mean to or not... that's just what we do, isn't it?"
" It is who we are." Uncle Lijah walked away, Uncle Kol was crying, I walked to Uncle Kol, holding out my arms. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me onto his lap. I laid my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes,

I saw mommy and Uncle Kol dancing in the woods, they were laughing as Uncle Kol swung her around. She kissed his cheek and smiled at him,
She said" You're a Neanderthal, brother, but you're my neanderthal, unfortunately."
Uncle Kol said" Unfortunately? You're wrong, you're wrong, dear twin. I'm the best thing you'll ever have."
" Sure, dear twin." They continued dancing...

I opened my eyes, Uncle Kol looked at me,
He said" Did you see that?"
I said" See what?"
" The- Never mind..."

I heard Davina in pain,
I said" Davina!" I sped to her, I saw Finn, I sped to him and pushed him, he pushed me. I hit the wall, Uncle Kol sped to him and they started fighting. I ran to Davina, and wrapped my arms around her stomach, she wrapped her arms around me. Uncle Kol threw Finn, we followed them, Uncle Kol was going towards Finn with a candle.
Aunt Freya said" Kol, stop." Uncle Lijah grabbed him,
He said" Enough."
Uncle Kol said" This isn't your fight."
" I told you to stay your hand."
" Fine." He threw the candle," I'd rather take my chances out there with white oak than stay here with you lot." He and Davina walked out,
Aunt Freya said" Elijah..."
Uncle Lijah said" He'll be fine. Marcellus paid us a visit. The last remaining white oak in the world... right here. Sister, if you would be so kind." Aunt Freya started a fire, Uncle Lijah threw the bullet but Finn grabbed it.
He said" Little witch has condemned me... to this. To remain a beast. Elijah... I can't bear an eternity with no hope of escape. Can you?"
" Finn, give it to me. Give it to me." Lucien took it, then threw it to Uncle Lijah, I sped to my room. I laid down, closing my eyes, falling asleep, holding Mr. Midnight.