Elinor

LIMERENCE | XIII.
ELINOR MARTELL
Highgarden | 299 a.c.

ELINOR ALWAYS KNEW THAT Margaery was going to leave

ELINOR ALWAYS KNEW THAT Margaery was going to leave. That didn't mean that she prepared herself for the moment. Standing by the gates of Highgarden, knowing that Margaery was headed to Storm's End to begin her new life left her with a void in her heart.

"Are you going to keep staring at the gate?"

She turned and saw Margaery walking toward her, a smile on her face, "I haven't left yet."

"Sorry," Elinor says, "I'm just trying to imagine what it'll be like watching you ride through the gates."

Margaery grins playfully, "Let me show you."

Elinor watches as Margaery skips over to the gate. Elinor no longer sees a Queen-to-be, but instead just Margaery. The youngest Tyrell stands by the gate and nods up to one of the gatekeepers who stares at her but obeys and opens the gate.

"I'll be standing here. A little taller since I'll be on a horse. So, I'll be heading toward the gate," Margery starts to walk through it and then turns around, facing Elinor, "And then I'll run back through the gates, throw you on my horse, kidnap you and we'd run away."

Elinor laughs, "That is quite the plan."

"It is," Margaery says, "However I've realized that running away means leaving behind Mariah and William. Therefore, we could never do it."

Elinor blinks as she looks at Margaery, "Have you actually thought about it? Running away?"

"Of course, I have," Margaery tells her, "What woman in our position doesn't?"

Elinor shoves Margaery lightly, causing her to stumble back, "One that's about to be queen. Make no mistake Margaery, I will accept your love, but I won't allow you to lose your dream."

"Don't worry," Margaery tells her, "My grandmother would hunt us down before we could even make it out of the Reach."

Elinor laughs, knowing that Olenna would probably murder the two of them if they ever tried to escape. She would be a liar if she said she hadn't thought about it, returning to Dorne and the comfort of her family.

"Walk through the gates," Elinor says suddenly and Margaery glances at her.

"Pardon?" she asks.

"We're still practicing," Elinor tells her.

Margaery lips form a small smile as she turns and heads through the gate. Elinor watches Margaery's figure as it retreats, and with each step she takes, she can feel her heart breaking a little more. What destroys her though is when Margaery looks back, a simple glance over her shoulder. Margaery's blue eyes latch onto her own and Elinor quickly looks away.

"You can come back now," she says her voice coming out soft. It is a moment before Margaery is standing right in front of her, a sweet smile on her face.