4: Meeting With A Ghost

{𝑰'𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒎}

~

"Thank you," Aditi acknowledged the waiter as he arrived with their beverages. Deciding to have lunch at the restaurant was a good idea to get her husband out of the work's mood and a chance to spend some quality time together as a family. She, however, couldn't relate to that, it had been a long time since she felt the thrilling pressure of work, and she couldn't deny that she was missing these days.

"I'll be right back," she announced with a smile as she stood, brushing a hand over her husband's shoulder and sending a warm grin to her little son before making her way to the ladies' room, passing some guests on her way.

Aditi furrowed her brows when she noticed that the ladies' room was unusually vacant once she stepped in. Brushing the thought aside, she placed her purse on the side of the counter and took a look at herself in the mirror.

After fixing her hair, she rummaged in her cluttered purse in search of the lipstick, letting out a sigh of relief as her fingers enclosed around the small, plastic cylinder. As she fished it out, she took the lid off and rolled the dark pink finger out of its container, looking back up at the mirror.

"Hello, Aditi," a voice said from behind her.

Yelping, Aditi dropped the lipstick in the sink, instinctively reaching for the pepper spray can that she kept in her purse and idly pining for the weight of the gun in her hand.

"What? Did you see a ghost?" Khalid teased, stepping closer to the stunned woman who seemed as if the color had drained off her face.

"You... Oh, my God!" she choked out, eyes widening as she stared at the reflection of the figure behind her in the mirror. The strange yet very familiar shape of a man in a black outfit, the hood covering the upper half of his face.

"Yeah, it seems like I'm getting this reaction a lot these days," he smirked. It was the voice that gave his identity away, she could never forget his voice.

"Khalid... How..." she whispered, unable to believe her eyes or to even turn around. A crippling trepidation froze her in spot and forced the detested sense of apprehension up her chest.

"It's a long story," he interrupted, expecting what was she going to ask, "I don't have much time, I'm here because I need your help."

"My... my help?" she raised her eyebrows, hand still half-buried in the purse.

"Yes," Khalid replied, "I'll give you an address, can you please meet me there?"

"But... I don't..." she stammered, the picture of her waiting husband and son flashed before her eyes, what would she tell them if she said yes to him? And why would she say yes in the first place? What if all that was just one of her mind's tricks?