9: Stranger Hearts

{𝒀𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝑴𝒚 𝑫𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒅 𝑨𝒕 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑭𝒐𝒐𝒕𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒑𝒔}~

~

"Who did this to you?" Devak growled, pacing back and forth in his office beside two young men while his partner sat behind him, burying his face in his hands.

Once the news of the shipment's destruction on the old piers reached him, Devak went haywire. He cursed, yelled, threatened to kill everyone, and couldn't have a minute of rest as phone calls and messages poured over him like a rainstorm because it wasn't only his money that turned into fireworks, a part of it belonged to his other partners as well. Yet, he couldn't tell the boss the full truth, he only informed him that one of their partner's canned food shipments had an accident.

Fuming, Devak waited for the two hunched men to talk, one of them had his arm in a sling, while the other seemed that he was unable to stand properly as he sported a black eye.

"I asked. Who did this to you?" he repeated, grinding his teeth as he refrained himself from grabbing the nearest man to him by the shirt.

"The... the shadow," the broken-armed thug stammered, unable to look Devak in the eyes.

"The... what?!" Devak's forehead scrunched in confusion, partially thinking that this guy was joking.

"He said the shadow, sir," the other one spoke with a bit more strength than his comrade.

"What the hell are they talking about?" Devak turned to his partner who, at that moment, lifted his head to lock eyes with him.

"Yeah, they told me the same thing," the partner grimly explained, "not only them, the other two who were able to talk also said that."

"Are you on drugs or something?" Devak scoffed, still not capable to comprehend what were they talking about, "what the hell is the shadow?"

"We don't know, sir," the black-eyed thug stated, "he came out of nowhere and then... then everything was a big mess."

"Hmm," Devak murmured, "so you know it's a 'he' and not a 'she.'"

"Yes, sir," he answered, realizing that he was mocking him but couldn't do anything about it, "he was a man, we heard his voice."

"Really!" he spoofed, "can you tell me what did he say?"

"We asked him who he was," the thug looked down, "he said he's our bad luck."

Devak paused, his mouth hanging open as his widened eyes jumped between the two men, eyebrows slowly going up in surprise.

"Okay, okay!" he chanted, sniggered as he repeatedly hit his forehead with his palm, "this is too much for me, I can't take more of this nonsense."

That was when he pulled a gun out of his belt, aimed it at the broken-armed man, and shot him.

The partner almost fell over by the shock. The other man, however, couldn't do anything other than whimpering in fear.