13: The Inevitable Truth

{𝑷𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝑻𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝑴𝒆, 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝑯𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏 𝑰𝒏 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕}~

~

Jiya felt a pang of pride in the way she managed to find Ronnie's address. Her informer's directions were vague and unclear, but her knowledge of the city and her wide imagination helped her to pinpoint the location with almost no help.

She succeeded in reaching the old-looking building without being noticed by the duo of drunk men who were slouching on the sidewalk not so far from her, mercifully oblivious to the world around them.

Calling it good luck, she let out a breath of relief when she found the main door ajar, it seemed like someone had forgotten to lock it after getting in.

The building was as old and shabby from the inside as it was from the outside. Cracked floors, chipped walls, and dingy ceilings rounded Jiya as she walked inside, the entrance looked as if it hadn't been cleaned properly in months.

"Why would Ronnie choose such a place to stay in?" she asked herself as she slowly ascended the creaking steps of the stairs, careful not to cause so much noise.

Making her way through the narrow hallway, Jiya's heartbeat speeded up as she walked ahead with hesitant steps, the fear of the unknown clouding her rational thoughts, she had no idea what was she doing there and what was she going to find in that place, but she needed to know.

As Jiya reached the washed-up, closed-door that should be his apartment, she pulled a little equipment out of her coat's pocket and started the procedure of picking the lock with evident ease, she was good at it.

Once the lock clicked open, Jiya wasted no time in going inside after having a quick look around to make sure that nobody had seen her, closing the door quietly behind her.

The apartment was simple with basic furniture arranged geometrically over the small space and inhabiting the most of it. Unlike its exterior, it was clean and neat, but like it's exterior, it was dim and poorly lit.

Her eyes got attracted to the bright light that was coming from a small corridor to her left. Letting her nosiness driving her through, she heedlessly stepped toward the source of illumination only to trip on something and almost lose her footing.

Looking down with mild annoyance, she saw that the heel of her shoe got caught in a discarded piece of clothing on the floor. Her heart sank as she picked it up and flipped it in her hands. It was a black jacket with a hood.

"The man who attacked her at the nightclub was wearing a black hood... The man who was responsible for beating the whole gang of Devak up to bloody pulps was also wearing a black hood! They called him the Shadow because they could not see his face."

Jiya's mind whacked itself inside her skull, this couldn't be true, it was all made up, it couldn't be real.

"It can't be him."