Surprise

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. I'll try and update at latest next week. I got a new laptop so I can write more! -Alyssa

***
I sat on the edge of my bed as I sifted through my bag, looking for a hair brush. It had been two weeks since returning home from Spain. Nights were spent dreaming about my adventures with Ed, reminiscing on the beautiful sights and sounds of my time spent abroad. My days were spent distracting myself, listening to music, taking lessons for the violin (an instrument I had always loved),  cleaning my house, and facetiming Ed. He had been working on his new album, set to be released in a few months. He sang and played his guitar to me, getting my opinions on the new songs which were always wonderful.

I slammed my suitcase shut with a frustrated sigh escaping my lips. I quickly pulled my hair into a messy bun on the top of my head. I observed myself in the wall length mirror across from me. I was wearing a black skirt that had purple and blue flowers decorating it, a grey tee, black tights, and black boots. I was also wearing a jean jacket and a purple scarf. For once, I looked put together. I smiled at my reflection and grabbed my small, black leather violin case. I walked out of the door.

The streets were crowded, the air chilled. People huddled in light jackets and gloves. I swung my violin case back and forth, gazing at the people around me. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and swiped it on.

"Well hello there, beautiful," Ed's voice chimed in through my phone. I instantly felt a smile light up my face.

"Stop being cute," I laughed, stopping at a street corner. I checked both ways before crossing.

"I couldn't wait to call you because I just came out of the studio and had my creative juices all flowing," he said quickly, his voice filled with pure joy and excitement. "Just listen to this." Ed took the phone away from his ear and talked to someone on the other line. I was a few blocks away from the small studio, Treble, that I took my lessons at. I had around seven minutes to get to class.

A recording of Ed's guitar began to play and soon, I could hear Ed singing.

Loving can hurt, loving can hurt sometimes

But it's the only thing that I know

When it gets hard, you know it can get hard sometimes

It is the only thing that makes us feel alive

We keep this love in a photograph

We made these memories for ourselves

Where our eyes are never closing

Hearts are never broken

And time's forever frozen still

Ed pulled the phone away from the speaker that played the speaker that played his recording. "It's called Photograph."

I smiled thinking of the song lyrics and thought back to the night before I left Spain. I laughed and pushed a piece of hair behind my ear. I held the phone to my ear with my shoulder.

"It was beautiful," I replied. I heard a slight commotion on the other line. The studio was just in sight. The red brick lined building was right across from Central Park. It looked like a little antique, homey place. Downstairs was home to a small cafe, constantly filled with tourists and hipsters sipping fancy-named coffees and typing away at their fancy laptops. Upstairs was the music studio, run by a woman named Marlene. She was a little old woman, sweet and caring. Her hair was the color of ash, her eyes crystal blue.

"I have to go... I'll call you later. I love you," Ed rushed. I said goodbye and hung up, stuffing my phone in my pocket. I skipped the rest of the way to the studio, taking the oak stairs two at a time. Upstairs, the room was bright and beautiful. Three of the walls in the studio were windows, allowing the bright sunlight in during the day and overlooking the bright night life when the moon was out.