04

The whole scene at the library with Miss Amylie seemed to be out of a fairy tale. The hair on my skin keeps on pestering my whole day class with my not-so-bad students. I always get goosebumps thinking about the dagger and me as...

Death dealer?

Oh God! Wake up from your nonsense, Ivana!

I scolded myself as I tried to push my table at the center of the room. I'm too old to believe what that old granny said in the library. I have one more class to go. I have four class with 15 students each in total.

The 15 seats on the room are still empty. I only have 8 minutes before the start of my last class for today. About the girl in my second class who asked me a favor to assist her, she's absent today. And I hope that she will not be by tomorrow. She missed my surprised quiz to their class today.

I silently review my lesson plan as I sit comfortably on the wooden chair. So far, I've tried so hard to lessen my worry about the family I left in my country. I missed our home though I always hate it when I heard my mom and dad fighting.

To top it all off, I haven't receive any call from them yet. Texting is I think a hassle for them too. Don't they miss me?

Next week I will sent money for my younger siblings school expenses. What seemed to be endless rows of paired shoes came to sight. I sighed as I close and put below the table my lesson plan.

My back was burning from all the not-so-subtle stares of my students. What's gotten to them today, anyway?

Is there something on my face?

I cleared my throat before I started our class. My mind went blank for a moment as I heard them murmuring to each other about something. Before a hundred thoughts burst inside my head, I stop my lecture and face them with a frowned expression.

They made a silent treatment as if I never heard them murmuring to each other. Few seconds later, one of them raised a hand and calmly stand up from his chair.

"Wasn't you here before, Miss Manalo? Is it really your first time to teach here in our academy?" A tall, young students in his big eyeglasses asked me. I stayed silent for a moment.

Did they already see me here teaching prior to my appointment?

Nervously, I tried to composed myself and answered him.

"Yes, it's my first time to teach here. Why is that?" They started to stare at each other as if they were surprise and confuse.
Why the hell are they asking me that kind of question?

Nevertheless, they're eyes were still on me. Some had even stopped to stare while some started to whisper to their seatmates.

Damn.
Do I have a twin? Or...
God! This is so out of the blue.

No one followed to ask me a question again. I managed to continue our class though I feel uneasy. Few minutes later, I dismissed them in the room. I sit in my chair with a deep sigh.

Weird things are started to keep ruling my stay here in the academy. First, before I was appointed here I already received creepy feedbacks from other teachings staff who happened to here before. Second, most of the people here have weird stares and of course, Jen is out of it. She's a good specie I guess.

Third, there's this old granny who seems to be the weirdest creature I've ever meet. Who keeps on insisting me that I should keep the dagger and the worst is that, she calls me a death dealer.

What is a death dealer anyway?

Last but not the least of my concern, there is this new director of the academy who seems to be the most breathtaking man I've ever seen. And to be with him and kiss your neck is I think a memoir to die for.

Oh, did I already mention about the painting in the cafeteria who has a great resemblance to me and the killing part is that, my name is scribbled on it.
I stepped out of the room to meet Jen and so I can bombard her with many questions that can help my confused mind heal.

With her heavy contour and nose line, I immediately find Jen not in the library but in the cafeteria. She's too easy to recognize for me because she has this signature makeup and her long slings of earrings.

"Hi dear!" She called me. She's sitting alone in the table near the painting. Well, nice spot. I walked towards her and sit. I cleared my throat before I ask her.

"Did you see me here before, Jen? I mean, do I look like this lady?" I asked her pointing my fingers to the painting hanged on the cafeteria's wall. She look to the painting and blink her eyes thrice. Then she look at me frowning.

"Exactly. Did you teach here before? You seems to be familiar now that you've mention about this painting. And look! Gracious, your name!" She's exaggerating. But yeah, who knows. My soul maybe, already visit here without my brain on it. I can't recall any memories of visit here.

"Of course, it's my first time here. Beside, it's too impossible." I answered her. Did I teleport?

"But who knows. And you know our new director, God! I think his hitting on you!" She clapped in excitement. Oh God! That's absurd.

"Your kidding me, don't you? How would someone like him will like me?" She just rolled her eyes. I know she don't want to believe what I say.

"But you know what, I think the same story is about to flip again." Confused by what she said, I just sip the bottle of juice in our table.
Would she believe me if I told her about the dagger?

"Uhm..Jen, do you know the history of this academy? I mean, who are the first staff and employees who work here? She stayed silent for a moment. My eyes traveled to her reaction. She's thinking.

"Well, as far as I can remember my mother is one of those but you know she's with God now." A little bit disappointed, I sigh and sip the juice again. But I continue asking her.

"Don't you listen to her stories before? Did she mentioned about the academy?" She chuckled first before she answered me.

"I hate histories. I would rather die with numbers. But I know someone who you can ask for. And there's a trivia about her, she's the wife of the first deceased director of the academy." My feelings were all over the place. My eyes brimmed with happiness and I'm not that sure why. Smiling, ask her.

"Who is it, Jen?" To be honest, I'm not expecting anything about her especially that she mentioned about her dislike on histories. But now, I think I need to treat her a meal after this.

"The old librarian, Miss Amylie. She's a hundred year old woman. And she seems interested on you judging by her gaze and stares on your pretty face two days ago." I don't know if I should feel happy about what she said, but my shoulders shrink down. Not that I hate that granny but to think of what she said about me in the library, God! I think both of us need to go in the clinic and checked both of our brain.

I feel weird about myself but I think she's the weirdest. And wait, she's a hundred year old woman?

Is she an alien? God! How many zeros does she really had on her age?