14

I didn't have a very clear idea of how I had managed to rest and sleep on Corvin's bed for many hours. All I knew was when I opened my eyes, I was alone in the room, no sign of Corvin or even Jen. I guess I sleep here without any disturbance and without their presence. My head is still pounding with admiration of the paintings hanged opposite to the bed.

Whoever paint it, he was a great artist. Such a talented hands.

"Did you sleep well?" Jen's voice echos in the room. Finally she's here.

"Yes. Where have you been?"

"I was at the hall with the King. We're preparing for another war." My heart suddenly beat into chaos. War? I hate conflict especially armed conflict. How can I survive when I was at the middle of the war with the immortals? Even if Corvin's people are there to protect and save me, it is still a battle that no one ever foreseen except their seers.

"Have you been battling with the wolves ever since?"

"No. It just happened when you decided to left our world, your highness." I don't know the reason why I suddenly feel guilty. Maybe because they were treating me as their queen.

"I am not your Queen, Jen. Cut that crap! Don't call me that way." Jen just slightly bowed her head as a response.

"The food is waiting, your---" She stop talking when I raise my brows. She's at it again, calling me with that odd honorifics.

"Let's go!" She reiterated. I smiled at her act. She's too cute.

We went outside and walk towards somewhere. I don't have any exact idea on where are we going but I guess we're leading to the dining area of the castle. We stop in front of a close door. Jen opened it and we walk through it. I was at her back when we suddenly heard growls from the outside. Creepy growls not from our hungry stomach but from the hideous beast who never get tired chasing me. I thought their pack, the wolves, already went home when we enter at the hall with Corvin but now, here they are again making guttaral sound that gives goosebumps to me.

"Stay at my side, Ivana!" Jen's panic voice alarmed me. I'm sure she suddenly feel scared especially that we are the only people in this room, the kitchen area of the castle. Where are the others anyway? Did they already left to battle?

"Why are they still here?"

"Because they want something from us especially from you, Ivana. The dagger, where is it?" I feel messed up by her question. How would I know where is it? The only thing I know is that Miss Amylie showed it to me at the library few days ago.

"I d-don't know. Maybe Miss Amylie still have it."

"W-What?! Shit!" It's my first time to heard Jen's swearing. I guess this is the real her.

"We have to hide, Jen!"

"No! They can still find us, Ivana. Just stay at my back." She said and pulled something from her pants pocket. It was a metal stick with five centimeters long. She strike it up and suddenly it becomes longer than five centimeter. Wow!

"W-What is that?"

"My weapon." She shortly responded and pulled me closer to her. I thought we we're going to eat delicious food here but I think the wolves will eat us alive. How luckless.

The growls continue to roar up the place that I think anytime all brittle substance might crack down. What are they really up to? If they want the dagger, why can't they just get it from the one handling it now?

"No! That can't be possible, Ivana!" I look at the pale face of Jen, did she heard me talking. No. I don't even spit one slice of words. How can she...

"I can read your mind, Ivana." Wow.

"You're a mind reader? I mean you can really read whats in my head?" She bitterly nod at me. Holy Mary!

I guess Corvin can also read whats in my head when we are still in the academy. Shame on you, Ivana. You don't have any privacy now. I saw Jen's staring at me with disapproval. OK. I guess she can really read minds. But how come? If I am their queen, then maybe I can also do the same. But why can't I? So unfair. Or maybe, its really true that I am not their queen, the Ivana that they know.

"Put this on and hold this." Jen give me a brown colored cardigan and the metal wield handle of the dust pan from one of the cabinet in the kitchen. I did what she said.

"Where is C-Corvin?.."

"He's at the castles entrance with the old guards and the death dealers. Miss Amoraj is coming for us so stay at my side. We need to keep you safe." Jen explained. I'm so proud of her. I thought at first she's just an ordinary lady with her signature make up and funny expressions. But I guess its true that first impression never last. It is not really easy to know the better version of a certain person.

"Jen?"

"What is it? Are you sca---"

"No. I am not scared because I have you." I hug her from behind. A warm hug that I give for the first with her. She's like a family to me. A cute sister. She didn't hug me back but I know that she was touched. She just stand still with her metal weapon on her one hand.

"Thank you." I muttered. We suddenly feel awed when the kitchens door open but fear envelopes us after when the person that we expected is not there but someone else. Its not Miss Amoraj but a tall man.

"Who sent you?!" Jen pulled me more closer to her. I firmly hold the dust pan handle with my cold hands. Is he an enemy? I'm sure he's also an immortal but I don't know if he's a vampire or a wolf.

"The King. He wants me to send you off to Larca." Larca? What's that? Is that a place?

"I don't trust you, Merx!"

"Here." The tall man show us a round thing that looks like a medallion.

"The Kings royal badge?" Jen ask herself. Then...

"Let's go! We have to hurry!" Miss Amoraj arrive at the door. Jen pulled my hands and we went together not at the kitchen door but below the counters two stalls. I think its a lurking place hidden below the two stalls connected to the underground, a place I never imagined myself to be in which is situated beneath the surface of the ground.