⎯ 05 ⎯

chikasue ikari,

i know that i unconsciously accepted the dumbass unfortunate to be my soulmate as my friend but, even as a friend, his presence was oddly persistent.

during classes, he would shoot me a thumbs up, or, if he was sneaky enough (which was rare) he would text me — usually something that wasn't worth replying to.

"why don't you take part in p.e, chi-chan?" he asked me on thursday whilst chewing a mouthful of milkbread.

i avoided looking at him, remaining still in the shade. "i've had an ongoing headache for the past couple of days, it's reoccurring..."

"hm? shouldn't you get that checked out?"

"no, i know the cause," i said, looking up to give oikawa a look, watching as he finally caught on and resisting a laugh at his offended face.

trust me, i tried to pull away from him, hoping to stay by my points of reason before he could strip me of my sanity but it wasn't easy ignoring a guy like him and i wasn't cruel enough to reject his friendship.

after all, it's only friendship.

"when do you think that you'll be back in the volleyball club?" i asked, changing the subject and causing oikawa's mood to instantly plummet. i mentally apologised.

"... i don't know? you're the expert, right?" he smiled awkwardly at me.

i gave him a bitter, sarcastic laugh. "well, you're ankle should be alright by next week?"

"there you go then."

ah right, the reason i'm putting up with him right now despite my reluctance is because i'm the only thing distracting him from volleyball at the moment.

i'm pretty certain that we'll simply grow apart when he rejoins his club and passion. i mean, if he becomes friends with someone just because they dragged him to a room and put their foot on a chair then surely he'd be rich with friends.

when monday morning came, i examined my ankle carefully. unless oikawa ran a marathon over the weekend, our recovery should be the same.

therefore, his injury would be fully healed and he would no longer be accompanying me as much. for example, i wouldn't see him at the gates because he'd already be inside, same with after school.

and sure enough, i didn't receive any text messages throughout the day, checking my phone, the most recent was from the weekend.

8th December 17:12

dipshit:
maybe you should come
to my volleyball club then?
😀😁😇

me:
sounds boring.

dipshit:
😦😩!!

me:
why do you want me there?

me:
is there a game or something?

dipshit:
no............

me:
well then, case in point.