⎯ 13 ⎯

chikasue ikari,

"what are you grinning for?~" oikawa finally asked once we reached the school gates.

"i'm just excited," i mused, not sure if he was aware of the significance of today or not.

"oh? are you going to confess to somebody?" oikawa teased.

"not quite~" with the shake of my head, oikawa's brows furrowed, planting a confused expression on his face as we reached the footlockers.

the brunette's eyes were fixed on me while he opened his locker and, as if on cue, a large pile of items tumbled out, scattering amongst his feet with a loud noise.

i wave of satisfaction hit me as i laughed at oikawa, who was struggling to pick up all the heart-shaped boxes and pink envelopes.

today, after all, was valentine's day. normally, i couldn't care less, however, i realised last night that my friend is the most popular boy in school. today could be entertaining.

oikawa caught on pretty quickly, finding it hard to ignore the pool of gifts already waiting for him within the first five minutes and, based on his reaction, he didn't seem very impressed by my laughing one.

the day was normal except the occasional interruptions from girls handing him gifts or home baking, to which oikawa smiled and thanked them for.

"seriously, you don't deserve this much," i mumbled, mouth half full.

"that's not very nice..." oikawa absentmindedly replied while he searched for his bag. "hmm i must have left it somewhere."

"where'd this come from then?" i asked, pointing to the empty bento box on his desk. we were eating lunch in the classroom again, the february weather proving still too cold to return to the more peaceful spot outside.

"a girl made it for me— hey!" oikawa snatched the box away as i swallowed another chocolate. "don't eat all my chocolate," he huffed.

i leant back on my chair, recalling the heap of boxes still in oikawa's bag. "yeah, that was far from all." i mumbled before my eyes trailed to the spot by oikawa's chair where his bag was supposed to be. "let's go look for it then."

oikawa and i split up as we used up our remaining lunch break to find his bag.

seriously, what an idiot.'

maybe it was because i had eaten so much chocolate and cookies as a substitute for lunch but my stomach was twisting a little, only growing worse throughout the day. to be honest, i still don't really know why i was eating so much, i don't even like sweet things and oikawa knows it.

i knitted my eyebrows together when i noticed that i didn't feel a morsel of guilt for eating homemade treats intended for oikawa.

i can imagine the girls that put effort into making them wouldn't be very happy to find that oikawa's female friend consumed them for no good reason instead.

i scoffed at myself, turning my focus back to locating his bag.

soon enough, i found a stray bag sitting against the wall and all i needed to do was to pick it up and feel it's weight before i was certain the bag was oikawa's.

it was strange, the contrast of my mood. this morning i was confident and even a little peppy because i thought the whole day would be oikawa drowned in unwanted attention but the way he handled each girl stirred something that resulted in my bitter attitude now.

it wasn't exactly anybody's fault, which made me feel even more awful.

i wasn't really paying attention to where i was going as more thoughts pooled into my head, only broken from them when i stumbled upon oikawa.

he was standing in the hallway facing another girl who had her back turned to me, the air was tense and i instantly knew what was happening. we all know what's happening.

i sighed and swung oikawa's bag behind my legs, leaning against the wall so that i was hidden as i tried to politely wait for the 'meeting' to end.

"oikawa-san... please will you consider my feelings?" the girl asked gently.

the silence continued to spill through the corridor until oikawa responded without a hint of hesitation as if he had recited the line a hundred times before.

"sorry, volleyball is my top priority... i hope you understand, i'm not pursuing any relationships at the moment."

"oikawa and i have never really known anything but volleyball. we should be focusing on our exams, sure, but it'd all feel lonely even if there isn't really a purpose for us to continue."

i recalled iwaizumi's words as my eyes lingered over the blank wall ahead of me, pondering oikawa's response between the conversation.

"i see... so you really aren't dating chikasue-san, right?"

my eyes widened and i allowed my hands to loosen, the bag straps finally slipping from my fingertips to fall a couple of centimetres to the floor, making no noise at all.

ah, that's right.'

"you're going on a date with oikawa-san!? why didn't you tell me?!" hattori was ecstatic with energy.

"no, no, it's not a date it—"

"now everyone thinks we're dating," i grumbled.

i was brought back to the present when he finally replied.

"i'm not."

instead of spinning, my stomach dropped and, hardly thinking, i waited for the girl to leave. oikawa kept walking to find me around the corner, holding the heavy bag up at eye level.

"found your bag," i said, dropping it into his unsuspecting hands. "seriously, since when did chocolate weigh that much?"

oikawa chuckled and regained his control, picking up the bag again, this time more prepared. "it's hard to be this popular, chi-chan."

shut up, idiot'

"anyway i'm going to the nurse's office, all that chocolate made me sick." i turned my back and waved goodbye. "see you tomorrow."

i swear you're making it worse on purpose.'

at least i found out why i'm actually hurting so much today.

15.07.20
✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

sorry this is late and kinda sucks a little haha