⎯ 19 ⎯

chikasue ikari,

"don't worry," the silver-haired girl soothed, softly hugging my shaking body. "your secrets safe with me..."

in the moment, i sunk into the shallow comfort without realising the lies that laced through her words.

as many emotions overwhelmed me, forcing the tears to continue falling, i couldn't help but think of hattori a little and compare it to now.

right now was different. i felt oikawa's arms holding me and i felt safe despite every passing thought causing me to further dampen his jacket.

i didn't realise how touch starved i was until now, refusing to let go, i sobbed uncontrollably for reasons i could no longer find. the unfamiliar comfort brought my cheeks to a red colour and it felt like i could tell oikawa anything, and yet, i ran out of words.

———

"are you sure this isn't too much...?" i asked slowly, picking my arm up to examine how loose the sleeve was. 

"you got it all snotty anyways."

my head whipped around immediately, glaring at him until he laughed and apologised.

"no really it's fine," he smiled, pausing while the can fell to the bottom of the machine. oikawa reached his hand in and sat down next to me with a warm can of coffee. "you look cute."

i took the can from him with furrowed brows, feeling rather patronised where i sat in his large jacket, sniffling. he had quickly informed the team that he'd leave early and then joined me to take me home for the day.

instead of complaining, i took a sip, feeling the warmth running through my body, heating up every corner and soothing my headache.

all that crying really took a toll in me.

"sorry for lashing out at you..." i mumbled quietly, reluctant to speak up about it further.

"do you feel better now?" he smiled softly.

"yeah, but mostly just tired."

"i bet." he slumped lower in the bench and let out a sigh. "sorry for stressing you out to that point..." a trace of guilt lay in his words.

i shook my head lightly before taking advantage of our close proximity to fall gently onto his shoulder.

i could tell he was surprised, his smile slipped and his body was stiff but i trusted oikawa. the outburst made me realise that he was still going to be there for me.

he wasn't going anywhere.

"it's not your fault," i sniffed, dismissing the event. he didn't reply but relaxed a little, allowing me comfort on his shoulder and i soon felt the drowsiness creep over me.

"wait- hey don't fall asleep i'm meant to be taking you home!"

my eyebrows creased my face. "just a little longer..."

he let out a sigh betrayed by a smile, silently agreeing.

although i was exhausted, one thought still lay heavy in my mind, preventing me from sinking into the silence.

"you knew didn't you?"

oikawa hesitated before i felt him nod slowly.

my half-closed eyes could only see oikawa's hands lying on his lap. his fingers reached for each other as he began to fidget slightly.

it was unlike him to get nervous, but his explanation was long awaited. exhaustion dominated my emotions and i barely reacted but instead listened intently for what he had to say.

"to be honest, i had my suspicions from right when i saw you sitting out p.e the day i came back to school..." he began.

"i hadn't really thought about my soulmate much before but i kinda felt it a little... and-" he paused to laugh slightly. "i thought that maybe you'd be a good distraction from volleyball."

"maybe kinda shitty of me but something really drew me to you," laughing, he looked back up to the sky and my head shifted against his shoulder to look up at his crooked smile.

"ah..." he itched his red dusted nose while he caught himself and returned his gaze awkwardly to me. "but i probably should have told you earlier or confessed or something but..." he stopped at my face.

oikawa tooru's flirty and cocky charm was lost along with his courage. his almond eyes were unreadable as he scanned my confused face.

without warning he placed his hand over my eyes and blinded me. "hey- what are you-?!"

i was cut off by the feeling of my lips colliding with oikawa's. he quickly silenced me before i felt his warmth fade and he pulled away.

"hah... i still can't really face you..." he chuckled, refusing to remove his hand from my face.

i was kinda stunned. oikawa just kissed me and now i'm pretty sure he's gonna kidnap me. my mind was running at one hundred miles an hour but i stayed silent.

"sorry for the other day- when you kissed me- i was too shocked to do anything and when you left i felt like an idiot..."

"and... i shouldn't have been such an idiot today either..."

"but-" i started.

"anyways will you be my girlfriend?"

...

huh?!!'

i slowly reached up and took oikawa's hand away from my eyes, searching his expression for any hints of teasing but was faced with genuine emotions.

"you... actually like me?" i asked, surprise etched all over my face.

"uh yeah, moron." oikawa furrowed his brows and flicked my forehead gently.

it didn't hurt.

"i mean, we're soulmates."

"took you long enough."

12.10.20
✎﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

yea this chapter had no reason to wait an extra 12 days lmao. anyways i think the next one will be the last? thanks for sticking around for so long :)