Chapter 18

five months later:

I walked through the streets, more like ran, but how else are you suppose to get around. I got to my building, and I looked up. I had done it. After I got into business school it was easy. I knew lots of my dads friends who were eager to give me loans to start a company. All they needed was a little reassurance that I actually knew what I was doing. I have pretty much dropped out of school, but I do still take a couple classes. Instead I spend my days running my company. I ran MacKei enterprises. We mostly just backed all sorts of different companies, mostly to due with fashion, others to make money. We ran our own magazine, which was my baby, I loved being in charge of shoots. We also now own IMG models.  All of those were what I really poured my soul into, but to enable me to be a real player in the game we also had huge shares in Citigroup, Johnson and Johnson, and several more.

I made my way to the top floor were my assistant director, aka my sister, handed me a magazine. It was Vogue.

“Sophia you know I will see this when I get home.”
“No no turn to page 85.”

I flipped through the magazine and got to page 85. There was a picture of me from one of our last shoots with Gigi Hadid directing people around. I was confused but then read the title of the article. Top Fifty bosses. I was number one.  I skimmed the article, “This new comer has quickly risen to fame. She has taken over the fashion industry by storm. Her company quickly became a fortune five hundred company because of their shares in groups like Citigroup. However the multitalented 20 year old also own the two largest modeling agencies, as well as a huge share in our own magazine. Her company does produce their own magazine, which has quickly become a work of art.” I stopped to look up at my sister. I was gleaming but was taken aback by the sad expression on my sister’s face.

“Why aren’t you excited?”
“Nina it’s very exciting but did you read the last sentence?”

I turned my head back to the article and read the last part, “If only she could manage some love in that life.” My sister knew I still thought about Harry everyday and cried myself to sleep at least once a week.

“Ohh. No I hadn’t read that.”

I still talked to him every once and a while we exchange very sad phone calls or quick texts just to check up. But they were all filled with pain. I texted Niall and Liam a lot to see how he was doing. It was silly because I felt awful too.  I wanted him back so badly, but I knew he was done. I did break his heart, but to be fair it broke mine too.   

This week was going to be the first time I saw him since that night we broke up. The tabloids never put it together that we were together, which was strange but cool with me.

The boys were coming back to New York for the today show and then the MET Gala in the evening. My company was hosting the event and the magazine would be there to do all of the photography inside.

It was Wednesday and the boys would be here tomorrow because they were scheduled for the Today Show Friday morning. Then the rest of the guests would arrive on Friday and all be ready to glam it up for Friday evening. I was excited it was an honor to be hosting it, and it was also a huge benefit for the company. Most of the jobs were divided up among other smaller companies, but I had the say on who was speaking for the evening. I had a couple of amazing people sharing their triumph stories. I was also being honored at the end of the evening, for being the youngest fortune 500 CEO ever. Side note I was also a female.

I got to work at around nine after I had a little thought session and talked it out with my sister. I sent a quick text to Niall to gage Harry’s feelings of possible seeing me. He quickly responded that Harry told him not to ask and then walked away.

Soo that is how he felt. Well whatever I had work to do and Harry wasn’t going to get in the way.

At lunch time I realized that I wasn’t going to get any work done. I walked into Sophia’s office and grabbed her, practically dragged her downstairs. We climbed into my Audi and I told her I needed lunch and shopping.

She always agreed, knowing that if I thought something would look cute on her I would buy, and trust being her that was everything.

After I long day of retail therapy we headed home. We still had the same apartment. It was nice three bedroom in Manhattan, but it was no penthouse. Cars and clothes were a different story.

I was tired and in much need of sleep after the work I had been doing in preparation of the event. I went and took a shower and fell asleep on top of the comforter and woke up at about five in the morning. I didn’t actually have to be up for another half an hour so I just tossed and turned. Finally it was 5:30 and I hoped in the shower. It was the day the boys arrived, but I wouldn’t actually see them. I was still nervous though what if we just happen to run into each other on the streets. I was being silly but hey it was scary.

I got out of the shower and turned off my brain. I need to get things done to day. There was a lot of finalizing and some very important donors to meet with.

I put on a black dress with thigh high black boots. So maybe I was a little edgy for work but when I was already on top oh well. My sister and sat around our small counter sipping on our coffee. It was time to go so we climbed into the car. We took the Land Rover and I let her drive because I was tired and wanted to sleep.

We arrived at the tall building pulling into our reserved parking spot, which I paid a hell of a lot of money for. Of course being two young women getting out of a land rover there were lots of catcalls coming our way.

I got into my office and my assistant greeted me with a pile of papers to be signed. Then she informed me of two conference calls waiting. The first from a W magazine who was just looking for some creative assistance. The second being much more important, was from Burberry and after lots of ‘discussion’ they agreed to only a two page spread for three million, and I got to pick the models.

Then I started in on the papers I had to go over them make sure everything was in order and sign them. I was deep in thought when the intercom went off. Usually it’s just my assistant with someone on the phone. This time however it was my sister.

“Yes Sophia?” I questioned back.

“You have a visitor.”

“Can it wait I am in the middle of the Citigroup report.”

“No I don’t…”

Before she could finish the door swung open and Harry walked right in followed by my sister mouthing an apology. We stared at each other for a while before I asked Sophia for a minute alone with him.

Author’s Note:

What shall happen?!?!?! What is Harry going to say?

~Sophia