Chapter Eleven

There was this feeling I felt when Parker was in the room

I reminded me of a lot of high school when I used to get butterflies when he walked in the house with Asher.  It brought back all of the memories from when I was younger.

Parker kissing me on the playset at my parents' house, all of those beach trips, him helping me with my chemistry homework sophomore year, him being there when I got my first car, he was always there.

Ya know until he wasn't.

Maybe that's why I felt so empty and weird for so long.

Parker was a part of my life since I was five years old and then he just kinda disappeared. 

"I'm very thankful for all of you choosing to be here and I hope this internship does everyone well. To celebrate the beginning of this journey, we're having a company party tonight. All of the details are in the folders on everyone's desk." Parker announced, "Your attendance isn't required but encouraged."

Sabrina clapped her hands together, "I hope everyone enjoyed today! We decided to let everyone go early to get ready for the party. Don't forget that the real work starts next week and to check out with Christine before you leave."

I turned to Bradley, "I'm gonna go talk to Sabrina but could you get my things? I'll be down in a second."

He nodded, "Sounds good."

We stood up from our chairs along with every other person in the room. But as everyone else left, I lingered around.

"Miss Keller, is there something that you need?" Sabrina asked me

"She's with me." Parker spoke up, "Old friends."

Her eyes got wide, "I'll leave you to sit then." 

We awkwardly watched her walk out of the room before we began to speak.

"Still a big party thrower I see." I leaned against the table, "Some things never change."

He shook his head, "Nope. These parties just aren't as cool as the ones back in the day."

I looked at him, "I was just thinking and then it all hit me. You're twenty-one and I'm almost twenty. Life has just flown by."

"I've been thinking a lot too." Parker started, "Are you coming tonight?"

"Maybe." I decided, "I just have a lot of questions, it's been a while."

Parker pulled up a chair in front of me, "I have a lot of answers. I'll answer one now but you have to answer one of mine."

"Deal." I decided, "You go first."

I watched him take a deep breath and readjust in his seat, "The guy who was sitting next to you, is he your boyfriend?"

Gosh, I should've known that was coming from a mile away.

"Yeah." I answered. There was no sense in lying.

He just looked at me with those big eyes, "How long?"

"Almost ten months." I informed him

"Wow, I'm just surprised no one told me."  Parker stared at me and I stared at him back, "Ellie, no. Shut up. You're lying."

I put my hands on my face, the boy could read me like a fucking book.

"They don't know?" Parker questioned me with a surprised look on his face

I shook my head, "Nope just Lydia. They think he's just a friend."

"Why'd you start something new if you weren't gonna be upfront about it?" Parker asked me