Chapter 30: JJ

"JJ, will you please slow down?"

He chugged along the sidewalk, actively avoiding the man who refused to leave their argument be.

Or not augment but..disagreement? He wasn't sure what it was.

"Jaime!"

"What?" JJ stopped. Max sighed as he finally met his eyes. The man never really used his full name unless he was trying to be all sincere. It was hard to ignore.

"I'm sorry. I mean the whole point is-..to be seen with her, you know. I hate that you have t-", he trailed off, rubbing at his face. "I'm sorry. I don't like it any more then you."

"Well I agreed to it, didn't I? Why should i complain?"

"Because it's shitty," Max exclaimed, guilt seeping into his face.

He stepped closer, reaching for JJ's hand. Max pulled back as he heard footsteps. His eyes began to roll behind his glasses.

"We're not even near the school, how can you still be paranoid?!"

"I-..I'm not!" JJ scoffed a little, shaking his head. His not boyfriend tried to prove his point by holding his hands, stepping close.

"I don't wanna kiss her. I wanna kiss you." He paused. His eyes dropped to their hands once more. "Sorry it has to be like this."

"It doesn't Max." JJ stared, not understanding how someone as aware as Max could be acting so incredibly dense.

"I get being scared, you know I do. But there are a million other ways you can be handling this. Without hurting us or for god sake using your best friend cause I know that's killing you."

"I..I'm doing the best I can, alright?" Max tried, not knowing what else to say. JJ backed down some at the mist entering the man's eyes.

He was trying. Always trying. Poor adorable fool.

"..I can't go back now. I'd probably be too scared to even if I could. I just..wanted you to know I guess." Max shrugged, trying to blink away his tears. "I just wanted you guys, you know..?"

JJ sighed, cursing the man. He didn't cry often but he knew if they didn't change the subject soon, they were gonna be breaking down together in the middle of the sidewalk.

No one needed to see that.

"Damn it Max."

JJ leaned forward, placing a kiss to the man's lips, brushing away a few of the loose tears that had fallen.

"What? I look good crying, don't I?" Max joked, sniffling a little. "Always gets me off the hook."

"Would you like to argue again or come to my place and make out? I'm fine to argue if you insis-

"No, no I-I'm feeling really vulnerable at the moment. I think some privacy would really..cheer me up." Max pouted his lip a little, playful once more. His hands reached for JJ's waist, pulling him close.

JJ tried to bite down his smile but it was hard. The man had two moves that always worked, the flirting and the crying. No matter what he did or what he said, he always won them over with that crap.

Max smiled in the sweet way he always did that he somehow made very hot.

Damn, we really do need that privacy.

"Is this okay?"

"Yeah." Max smiled, having leaned the boy down on his bed. He reached forward, lifting JJ's glasses slowly.

"Give those back."

"No. They get in the way." He faked tossing them to the side, the guy jerking out to catch them. Max chuckled menacingly before setting them down and hopping back on him.