Bouns Chapter

Bouns Chapter

Jade was nervous. Her stomach clenched as she took a few deep breaths, trying not to let the panic overcome her mind. She placed her hand on the kitchen bench and took a few deep breaths, remembering her breathing techniques that Helen had taught her many years ago.

It was 3 in the afternoon on a beautiful spring day. The days were getting longer, and Jade knew soon she could do hydro therapy in her own pool once more. Once her breathing was under control, she wheeled herself over to the fridge to get everything for dinner.

Marcus was currently at the gym working with her 1:1 client as she had an appointment with Helen and her doctors all day. She was hoping for improvements with her brain scan, but again they still showed the dark shadows that were still embedded in her brain. While over the last 2 years they had reduced in size, there were still times when Jade forgot how to do something, and it annoyed her to no end.

She still had made no progress with walking however there were times she swore she could feel her toes and legs, however the doctors told her it was phantom pain and the chances of her ever walking again were 0%. Sighing, she tried to focus on the positives in her life, but it was hard. While she was getting better, there were still days where she could barely get out of bed and days when her depression or PTSD were at its all-time high she would spend the day in constant panic no matter how hard she tried to go through the various techniques she had been taught.

She heard the warning bark from her 2-year-old golden retriever, who trotted his way over to her and put his head in her lap. She gently patted the fluffy golden head of her therapy dog she got 1.5 years ago.

She got Ace when she had a terrible relapse when Marcus went away on a tour. She had been all by herself and it was her mind just snapped. She didn't know where she was or what she was doing until she woke up in hospital again and being admitted to a 72hr suicide watch. Her father had found her when he came over for dinner that night and she still felt bad to this day that he had to find her like that.

After lengthy talks with Helen, Sophie and Noah they decided putting Jade on the wait list for a therapy dog would be good not only for her but Marcus who also on occasions suffered from PTSD flashback and some mild anxiety.

Jade heard Ace bark again as he nuzzled his head further into her lap, trying to calm down her ongoing anxiety. With a combination of deep breathing and patting Ace, she could calm her mind.

"Thanks Ace." She gave Ace a scratch under his chin as he gave a happy bark to trotted away and out the doggy door into the yard. Letting out a deep sigh Jade got to work on dinner knowing Marcus would be home around 5ish.

She put on some music as she wheeled herself around the kitchen, knowing she would need to call Noah for help tomorrow. Noah and Sophie were still around, however they had become more like family than carers. Most days she didn't need them, and they were only there for when Jade needed something or just that little bit of extra help.

Jade got to work chopping up some vegetables for the roast dinner she was cooking. The lamb was already in the oven and once all the vegetables were in; she put them in the oven. After dinner was done and roasting away, she grabbed a bottle of water and wheeled herself outside to catch the last rays of the October sun before it chilled again.

When she rolled herself out the back door, she saw Ace lying on his back in the sun having the same idea as her. She gracefully transferred herself onto the swing and watched as Ace came over and jumping up to join her. He rested his head in her lap, and she gently stroked his head.

"I worried about this afternoon. Helen said it would be fine but still I'm worried how Marcus will react." Often, she talked to Ace. He never judged her and listened whenever she spoke.