06| A Stupid Relapse*

The average speed of sperm during ejaculation is 28mph. Zoom.

Luca's p.o.v

I was just finishing up my run when I spotted her. Lewis and Jax were both playing a match of testosterone tennis, each of them arguing about who had the shortest timing for the run. I knew that Jax was certainly faster than Lewis, it was like comparing a cheetah to a slow worm, but didn't feel like joining their bickering.

The two children could sort it out between themselves.

She was sat at the back of the café, along with another girl and they were both laughing, although I couldn't quite hear what they were saying through the glass windows. Whatever it was they were talking about, it must've been humours as they were both cracking up in hysterics. Either that or they were both just delusional. After the incident on Monday and how she reacted to my gun, I was inclined to believe the latter.

I don't think I would've noticed the two girls sat inside the café at all, except that at the edge of my vision I saw one of them sweep up a mass of dark hair into a messy bun. The action itself was rather insignificant, but the way she bit her lip and blushed at what her friend had said, caused me to take a second look. It was the exact same expression she'd displayed in the café on Monday and instantly my attention was snagged.

I had to get to know her and not just because our boss had told us to eliminate her as a potential witness or loophole. There was something about her that wasn't quite normal.

I just couldn't put my finger on it.

From the window seat, her gaze fell causally in my direction and I looked away quickly, pretending to find my trainers suddenly interesting. There was a large chance she wouldn't recognise me at all, and if that were true, then she wasn't a threat to us or our boss. If she didn't recognise me then my gut feeling was wrong, although it rarely was.

I had a weird feeling that she'd recognise us instantly and for some strange reason, I wanted her to. I had to believe she would recognise me. It would mean the compulsion hadn't worked and she was different.

"Hey, I think we should go get a coffee. Sound good?" I turned around to face the other two, jerking my head in the direction of the small café across the road. Both guys were inside the shop before I could even get another word out, desperate for their post-workout caffeine fix.

I sucked in a slow breath as we entered the café, watching as her dark eyes flashed with amusement and hot steam wafted up into her face from the cup situated before her. Now that there wasn't a pane of glass between us, I could hear everything she said from across the room with my supernatural hearing. There were perks to being an undead freak of nature.

"I'm gonna get in the queue." Lewis slapped a hard hand on my shoulder, indicating to the line of people protruding from the counter with a sigh. "Of all the places you could've chosen, you had to chose the busiest café right on the cycle route."

I ignored his moaning complaints and glanced back toward the window seat at the back. She was still looking out the window with a wistful, almost sad smile. Clearly deep in thought and distracted from the world around her.

Damn it. Turn around, Eve. Look at me. I was standing so close and if she just turned in her seat right now, she'd see my face and she'd have to recognise me. I had to believe she'd recognise at least one of us. How could you forget a killer?

I ordered my black coffee while keeping one ear on her conversation, biting down on my smug smile as she gushed over my side profile. Eve had no idea who I was from behind and it was strangely enchanting. As the three of us waited for our coffee order, I subtly watched the way the rare Amsterdam sunlight streamed in through the shop windows, catching on the rich strands of hair that had escaped the bun atop her head.