21| Dancing With The Devil

Mr. Kellogg invented Cornflakes in the hope that plain food would stop people masturbating and marketed it as an "anti-masturbatory breakfast."

Evelyn's p.o.v

After dinner, we watched James carefully, staying out of sight until he had left the restaurant. The second he walked through the exit doors, we began to stalk. James nervously looked left and right before checking his back for sign of anyone following him, like some paranoid stoner after their fourth hit. A wanted man like him, a thief and con-artist, was surely used to threat. He knew he was being followed. However, despite checking his back, he forgot to check the shadows where we were patiently waiting for him.

Encased in dark shadows, we assessed our prey with hungry eyes.

He took his date into a swanky nightclub just across the street and once they had both disappeared through the entrance doors, Luca and I stealthily followed him around the back exit. The two bouncers blocking the exit doors were easy to distract and then compel to let us straight through.

Luca guided me into the main area of the club where people were singing, dancing and drinking all in equal amount. The central dance floor was teeming with people and I longed to join them, but James went straight to the bar and so that's where we headed. We stayed hot on his tail from a safe distance, keeping a subtle eye on any sudden movement.

I eased into a free barstool, feeling awfully comfortable to be back inside a club. Luca's eyes dipped down to the sweetheart neckline of my dress for a brief moment before snapping his attention back up to the task in hand. I didn't miss the brief assessment though.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Luca nodded his head in the direction of the toilets on the other side of the club and I nodded my head, watching his tall frame disappear into the sea of people. I ordered myself a drink while awaiting his return, keeping one ear on James' conversation at all times.

Minutes later, there was a hiss against the shell of my ear. I froze.

"Hey, James is distracted right now. You keep an eye on his date and I should be able to take him down easily. You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain; I have no interest in allowing this man to live as a villain for a second longer." Luca's harsh voice caused goosebumps to crawl across my skin, alerting me of his return.

I knew that Luca disliked James for his shady past. The profile that was provided to us, a thick, over-spilling binder of sickening crimes, had mentioned that James had a hand in more than one child abuse case, and something clearly hit home there with Luca. I wanted him dead just as badly, but it would be suicide to try and take him down in such a public space.

"You might want to take it down a notch or two, Batman." I hissed back.

Luca's eyes narrowed to slits. "What?"

I had overheard a vital piece of information while he'd disappeared to alleviate himself, and so lowered my voice to a breathy whisper, ensuring that only he could hear. "The guy is packing."

"So what? I'll have you know that I've got a pretty impressive dick myself-"

I cut him off with an incredulous look, holding back my sigh of disbelief. Men. Unbelievable. "God, he's got a gun. I meant gun."

"Oh, well I've also got a pretty impressive gun if that's what you're into." His teasing grin and cocksure posture had me instantly rolling my eyes. One would assume I'd just informed him that James had a toy slingshot hidden in his pocket, not a lethal gun.

"No, it's not. Now calm it with the reckless ideas and just sit down, bat boy." If one of us were to bleed out completely from a gunshot wound, it would kill us. This was serious.