20| To Friends that Share Chips

The aroma of wine can arouse both men and women. The scent is believed to replicate the human pheromones that cause behavioral responses.

Evelyn's p.o.v

I'd only been on one real date before, and that had been years ago with Adam when we'd first met. He'd taken me to a restaurant, that at the time was far more expensive than anything either of us could afford. We only ordered two glasses of tap water and the soup of the day, but I hadn't minded at the time. We were together. After dinner we had walked back home along the canals and then made out in his car, not wanting to wake his parents.

But this was different. I was an adult now, and Luca and I weren't going on a real date as such, but it would look that way to those around us. It was an expensive restaurant and for once in my life I didn't feel as though I'd be out of place or unable to afford so much as a starter.

This would be different.

So tonight instead throwing on my normal worn jeans and a tight fitting crop top, I opted for something a little more fitting of the occasion. I settled on a tight, red, knee length dress that was fitted around my bust and waist, accentuating my natural curves and complimenting my amber eyes.

I coupled the dress with a pair of gold hoops and wedges that strapped up my ankles in an elegant fashion. After tossing around my hair in various different up-does, I decided to leave the natural curls loose around my face, telling myself it wasn't just because I knew Luca liked it that way.

Once I touched up my eyeliner and spritzed on my favourite perfume, I hurried down the stairs before Luca could start complaining about my inability to be on time for anything. I had to give it to him, the man had a point. However, as I rounded the staircase and grasped my first glimpse of him, all mocking taunts left my head.

He was waiting for me at the bottom step, looking nauseatingly handsome in a pair of tight fitting, charcoal jeans and a black button-down shirt that had been teasingly unbuttoned to his collarbones. Who gave him the right to look so devilishly good looking?

"You scrub up well." I began my descent down the the right wing of the staircase and his eyes instantly snapped up to meet mine. He slid the phone he'd been texting on straight into his back pocket and his mouth dropped open slightly. I couldn't help the small smile of satisfaction I found in his reaction to me.

"You look-" He let out a low breath and I looked up to find him grinning, slowly shaking his head. He looked like a devilish angel stood down there, his beautiful face casted in dark shadows from the chandelier above, only a dimpled smirk softening his otherwise impossibly hard features. The perfect contradiction.

As I reached the bottom step, his arm reached out, bent at the elbow for me to latch onto. I peered up at him from beneath my lashes, unable to keep the playful smile off my face. "I think the words you're looking for are beautiful, ravishing, heavenly..."

He rolled his neck and let out a low grunt, visibly uncomfortable with the task of complimenting my appearance. The same man who'd been so overcome with desire that he'd pressed me up against the kitchen sink not 24 hours ago. I rolled my eyes at his challenge to find anything about me even remotely appealing, and made a move to unlink his arm and move around him. I had spent far longer than I'd like to admit on trying to look good and if he couldn't appreciate the effort, I could easily go find someone else who would.

I got all of two steps away when his hand jutted out to stop me, his fingers wrapping around my arm in a tight, vice-like grip. His eyes roamed the red material. "Actually, you look-" he cleared his throat before looking in the direction of the open doorway. His freedom lying beyond. "You look rather pleasant."