24| Late Night Swim*

Approximately 70% of people in the U.S. admit to fantasizing about group sex, and more than 50% of those people actually follow through.

Evelyn's p.o.v

I awoke to darkness. The cool night air assaulted me and suddenly I was wide awake, sat bolt upright on the soft mattress and gulping down large breaths. The nightmare I had been rudely awakened from faded away before I could recall it to memory, but I knew without doubt that James had stared in it.

He'd gotten his sweet revenge for what I'd done.

Looking around the bedroom, I realised the fire in the mantle was still glowing with amber cinders, and the moon still hung high the sky outside. I couldn't have been asleep for more than an hour or two.

'I want you.' Luca's words in the bar echoed.

I studied the ceiling, tracing the faint shadows cast by the Paris city lights far in the distance. He wanted me. Finding myself unable to fall back to sleep, I swung my legs over the side of the bed with a deep yawn, but then paused in the centre of the bedroom, starring into the dark.

The scent of sweet roses hit my nostrils and I immediately glanced over to the balcony windows, surprised to find them flung wide open. It explained how a cool breeze had awoken me from slumber.

 It explained how a cool breeze had awoken me from slumber

Damn, I couldn't believe I'd left them open.

I made my way over to the patio doors, intending to shut the them before falling back to sleep. Yet, just as I made it across the room and was about to lock the doors shut, something caught my eye. Across the garden, soft moonlight glimmered across the surface of the lake and I found myself unable to look away.

Before I could convince myself that it was undoubtedly a bad idea, I had already slipped on some sleep shorts and a strappy, lace camisole. My bare feet slapped against the cool marble staircase on my way downstairs and my footsteps echoed through the foyer.

Thankfully, no one heard me silently unlock the back door on my mission to get to the lake, or so I thought. Once outside, I breathed in the scent of freshly cut grass and fragrant roses of the garden. At this early hour of the morning, the sky was still a dark lapis lazuli, the sun still hibernating and casting the world in an eternal shadow.

I followed the dainty fairy lights leading down to the end of the extensive gardens, weaving my way through the lush hedges. Other than the soft glow of the small bulbs, it was pitch black.

The lake loomed just ahead and I quickly picked up my speed, nearing the water's edge before dropping down onto the gassy bank. I submerged my bare legs in the cool water, watching as the dark water swallowed my calves into the inky abyss. I needed to clear my head.