07| Hotel Room Fiasco*

Statistics show that approximately 1 in every 5 Americans have indulged in sex with a colleague at work.

Evelyn's p.o.v

I turned up at the reception desk of a fancy hotel my clients regularly used for business, telling the woman at reception that a Mr Rio was waiting for me and I needed his room number. The name Mr Rio was definitely fake but I didn't think twice about it considering the majority of my clients used fake names to protect their privacy. It was hardly unusual.

"Ah yes, Mr Rio is expecting your arrival on the twelfth floor, room number 107, our security will let you straight up." The lady behind reception slid a card across the desk and I took it from her, turning it over in my hand and thanking her. The elevator was just across the room and the security guard blocking my path politely stepped out of the way, offering a polite smile and then pressing the opening button for me.

"You good, Eve?" He rose a discrete eyebrow, surveying the hotel lobby carefully before making eye contact. Rob had been the head of security here for over two months now and we had become good acquittances after my many appearances for different clients. He knew what I did to make a living and didn't treat me any differently for it.

"Yeah, it's a new client that's hiding their name and info so I'm just a bit on edge tonight is all. You good?" I offered a nonchalant shrug of my shoulders, spinning the key card between my fingers and trying not to think too deeply into what was about to happen. The day I never had to do this job ever again was going to be the best damn day of my life.

"Good as I can be considering everything, you know? It's hard. I'm gonna keep an eye out for you tonight, just holler and I'll be there, okay?" Rob gave a quick squeeze to my arm and looked me deep in the eyes, conveying that he was there for me. It was always the same every time I had a new client, his protection a comforting knowledge to keep with me.

After his sister died of the virus three weeks ago, I'd stayed over at his place for a few nights and cooked basic meals for him while he was preoccupied with arranging the funeral. He did extra shifts as a bouncer at my local night club, which is where I originally recognised him from, and the rest is history. He was one of the only other people who knew about my sister and we'd bonded through an initial shared pain. I'd looked out for him when he'd needed me, and now he looked out for me when I needed the extra protection.

"You know I appreciate it, big guy

"You know I appreciate it, big guy." I briefly touched his cheek and returned his careful smile, slipping through the elevator doors and into the metal cage inside. I hated elevators, the metallic hum and confined space terrified me more than I'd like to admit. We caught eyes once I pressed down on the twelfth floor button. "I will be fine and I'll see you later."

"I know." He nodded his head and the doors slid shut, taking me up to the twelfth floor in a matter of seconds and then I was out in a wide hallway with doors on either side, ranging from the number 102 to 110. The room 107 was easy to find but before I could slip the key card into the lock, the door creaked and I noticed that it was already open and unlocked.