15| When It Rains, It Pours*

People who sleep face down with their arms above their head tend to have more sexual dreams.

Evelyn's p.o.v

Four minutes later, with the evidence left from huge raindrops peppering my dress, we both finally reached the apartment Luca had been renting. The sky was an intoxicating mix of black and violet, oppressive humid air reminding us both that summer was officially over and autumn was fast upon us. As the front door came into view, we both picked up the pace and pushed against the sheets of water blasting down on us from the heavens above. I could hear Luca cursing beneath his breath, annoyed that I couldn't yet harness my full survivor speed.

The occasional car passed us by as we reached the final sprint to the front door, their tyres splashing water up from the flooded gutters and sending tidal waves of cold liquid spraying up all over Luca's jeans. I bit back on my laugh as more water splashed up against his legs and continued to follow his, now rather rain soaked, lead as we ran the last few steps up to the door.

Luca quickly pulled out a set of keys from his back pocket, promising to give me lessons in supernatural running so this situation would never happen again. As I stood shivering on the uncovered doorway leading inside, water dripped from the end of my nose just as a streak of lightning lit up the archway leading inside. I shuffled in after Luca's tall frame, shuddering at the loud clap of thunder that accompanied soon after. The sound reverberated through my bones.

Once the door was slammed shut behind us, I let out a long breath and leaned back against it, trying unsuccessfully to calm my wild heartbeat, disgusted by the wet dress now sticking to my skin. I blinked away the heavy raindrops that had landed on my eyelashes and looked up at Luca just as another blinding flash of lightning briefly illuminated his tall frame. He was currently leaning back against the opposite wall of the hallway, not looking much better in his own drenched attire.

"I think I'll be taking up that offer of a shower sooner rather than later." I huffed out, noticing that my dress had become completely see through, the outline of my lacy bra showing through in devastating detail. There wasn't a single inch of my body that had survived the rain's impact and I tried, rather indiscreetly, to cover my pebbled nipples by crossing my arms against my chest. His eyes cast a long look down my body, but in the darkness it was hard to make sense of his gaze despite my newly perfect vision.

"Huh?" Luca's voice sounded guttural and distracted. His strong jaw and icy blue eyes flickered into view as another bolt of lightning illuminated his face for the briefest of seconds once, and then twice in a split second. I shivered under his undressing gaze and tried to brush off the trickles of water that ran from my exposed collar bone and then down the length of my bare, goosebump covered arms.

"Me. Shower. Soap. Hot water?" I informed him again, pulling my wet hair away from where it had plastered itself to my hollow cheeks before risking another glance up at where Luca stood, assessing me carefully. His lips were parted and his breath came in low, uneven pants as he watched me, eyes ablaze. I was unsure of whether his reaction was due to the exercise or my current state.

"I think I know what to do for your first lesson in fucking the consequences." A loud crack of thunder echoed around us, and suddenly I didn't feel like having a shower so much anymore; not unless he would be accompanying me. There was something frenzied and wild about his eyes that made my heart combust into a small heap of ashes; and then as his hand reached for my waist, those remnants of my singed heart were blown and scattered in a thousand different directions.