Chapter Nineteen- Flower Crowns

Vesryn sits by my side in the afternoon sun as we braid flower crowns together. Every few moments he looks up at Ayla, who sits across from us looking dainty and sweet in her blush colored dress. Once again her dress is ruffled, and the sleeves are just thin ribbons loosely tied over her upper arms. Her dark hair falls down her back in loose waves with a few pearl pins holding small braids in place at the back of her head.

My little warrior watches her in silent suspicion, clearly wanting to go over and sit with her but also not completely sure of her just yet. He lifts his flower crown up for me to see.

"That is beautiful, Vesryn. You are doing such a good job," I encourage him, and he smiles with those chubby cheeks of his.

"You have to wear it!" he exclaims, standing to his full height. He places it atop my loose curls, stroking my hair into place.

He comes around to face me properly, and he laughs delightedly. "You look pretty!"

I laugh, as well. "Thank you. May I put my flower crown in your hair?"

He nods, beaming as I set the hoop of yellow flowers atop his golden hair. I gasp as I look at him.

"Oh how dashing you look! Just like a prince," I tell him with a giggle, and Ayla laughs as well.

He puffs his chest out proudly, reminding me of a bird. He suddenly approaches Ayla, reaching out for her flower crown expectantly. She hands it to him, and he places it carefully upon her head. He steps back and shrieks delightedly again. "You look pretty!"

She and I laugh at his reaction, and she pushes his hair behind his ear affectionately. "Thank you, Vesryn. You are so charming."

I laugh, glancing to the side to see Glorfindel approaching us. "Vesryn, you are such a lady's man. You told me I was pretty and then turned around and told Ayla the same thing. You cannot run around telling all ladies that they are pretty," I tease him, and he turns to me with crossed arms and a cheeky grin.

Glorfindel sinks onto the grass beside me, our shoulders touching, and he looks at our flower crowns with a smile that crinkles his eyes. He reaches up, touching mine delicately. "Ves, did you make this? You did well."

Vesryn steps closer, grinning proudly at his father. "Yes! Doesn't she look pretty, Ada?"

Glorfindel's brilliantly blue eyes meet mine, softening noticeably. "Lady Aredhel always looks beautiful," he says, his voice rumbling in his chest. "The flower crown looks very pretty on her."

My cheeks grow warm as I look away from him. "Your son has been flattering us all afternoon. I guess he gets that from his father," I whisper the last part to Ayla, which makes her laugh, and Glorfindel chuckles.

"I only give compliments when I truly mean them."

Vesryn, ignoring us all, sits down in Ayla's lap, and I laugh. "It appears I have been replaced," I mention lightheartedly.

Ayla laughs as she meets my gaze. "I guess he finally warmed up to me. I was starting to get worried with all of the suspicious stares he has given me today."

Glorfindel and I laugh at her words.

"It does not take him long to warm up to anyone. Once he does, you will never be left alone," his father says, and I nod.

"Ayla, this is Vesryn's father Glorfindel," I introduce, looking to the Golden Warrior beside me, "And Glorfindel, this is Ayla. The one I told you about."

His eyes turn mischievous as he looks at her. "Ah, this is the elleth who made Elrohir speechless. I must say such a thing is nearly impossible to do," he teases, and her cheeks turn pink with embarrassment.